A's use pinch-hit blast to beat AngelsJul 28, 2013 - 3:26 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Derek Norris hit a pinch-hit two-run home run while Tommy Milone pitched seven strong innings to lift the Oakland Athletics to a 3-1 win over the LA Angels of Anaheim in the second of a three-game set.
Milone (9-8) gave up just one run on four hits with four walks and six strikeouts, while Jed Lowrie hit an RBI double for the Athletics, who have won five of seven.
"I was just going out there and trying to keep our team in the game," said Milone. "We have the lineup and the guys to get it done and luckily we did."
Josh Hamilton hit a solo home run for the Angels, who have lost five of their last seven. Garrett Richards pitched five innings in the start and gave up just three hits and two walks with four strikeouts. Scott Downs (2-3) served up Norris' home run to take the loss.
Hamilton's solo home run with one out in the second, his 15th of the season, gave the A's a 1-0 lead.
Oakland had men on first and second with one out in the second, but Chris Young lined out and Stephen Vogt grounded out to the pitcher.
The A's stranded a runner on third in the third, and a man on second in the fourth, but were finally able to break through in the seventh.
Josh Reddick led off with a walk and Young reached base when he hit into a fielder's choice, leading to a pitching change as Downs took the mound.
Norris greeted Downs with his seventh home run of the year, a blast to left, to give the A's the lead. Two batters later, Coco Crisp singled and Lowrie followed with a double for a 3-1 lead.
"When you're not a velocity guy and you leave the ball up, good hitters will get a hold of the ball and that's what happened there," said Downs.
Ryan Cook stranded a runner on second in the eighth, while Grant Balfour tossed a 1-2-3 ninth for his 28th save of the season.
Oakland has won eight of the 12 games against the Angels this season ... Both teams stranded seven men on base as the Angels went 0-for-4 with runners in scoring position and the A's were 0-for-7 ... Milone is 5-2 in his last eight home starts.
- LOS ANGELES: 1
Jul 27 6:09 PM
- Jed Lowrie double to right scoring Coco Crisp with two out. Runner on second and Josh Donaldson due up.
Angels 1, Athletics 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 27 5:32 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Derek Norris two-run Home Run (7) to left scoring Chris Young with one out. Eric Sogard due up.
Angels 1, Athletics 2 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 27 5:25 PM
- Josh Hamilton solo Home Run (15) to right with one out. Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 1, Athletics 0 Top 2, 1 OutJul 27 3:26 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 27 3:06 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22