Jimenez deals as Indians sweep struggling RangersJul 29, 2013 - 12:40 AM Cleveland, OH (Sports Network) - Ubaldo Jimenez pitched eight innings of two- hit ball as the Cleveland Indians wrapped up a three-game sweep of the Texas Rangers with a 6-0 win on Sunday.
Jimenez (8-5) walked three and struck out six and Mike Aviles hit a two-run home run for the Indians, who have won four straight. Michael Bourn added a two-run double in the win.
"We played really well in this series and I'm very proud of the guys right now," said Cleveland manager Terry Francona. "The guys are feeling good in this clubhouse right now and we want to continue it with Chicago coming in."
It was Cleveland's first sweep at home of Texas since August 12-14, 1980.
Elvis Andrus' double was the only extra-base hit of the game for the Rangers, who have lost nine of their last 11 games and have been shutout in three of the past four games. Alexi Ogando (4-3) gave up a run on six hits in 4 2/3 innings to take the loss.
"I'm not upset at my team, I'm just upset at the way we are playing," Texas manager Ron Washington said of his team's struggles.
The game stayed scoreless until the fifth inning when the Indians took the lead. With two outs, Bourn kept the frame alive with a walk and Nick Swisher followed with a single. Jason Kipnis then singled to right for a 1-0 lead.
Robbie Ross took the mound in relief of Ogando and struck out Asdrubal Cabrera to end the frame.
In the sixth, the Indians padded their lead on an RBI single from Yan Gomes followed by a double to center by Bourn that chased home two more runners for a 4-0 lead.
Aviles' two-run homer in the eighth, his sixth of the season, made it a 6-0 game.
Texas threatened in the first inning as Andrus doubled with one out and Nelson Cruz followed with a walk. Adrian Beltre, though, hit into a 5-4-3 double play to end the inning.
The only other chance the Rangers had to score came in the fifth as A.J. Pierzynski led off with a single and David Murphy walked. Jurickson Profar then sacrificed the runners over a base, but Mitch Moreland popped out to short and Leonys Martin grounded out to end the frame.
Bourn has 10 RBI in his past four games ... The Indians have 14 shutouts on the season while the Rangers have been blanked eight times ... Cleveland won five of the six games against Texas this season ... The Indians host the White Sox for three games starting on Monday ... Texas returns home to play the Angels for a three-game set starting on Monday.
- TEXAS: 0
Jul 28 3:49 PM
- Mike Aviles one-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored Carlos Santana. Yan Gomes due up.
Rangers 0, Indians 6 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 28 3:38 PM
- Michael Bourn double to center scored Carlos Santana and Yan Gomes with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Nick Swisher due up.
Rangers 0, Indians 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 28 3:11 PM
- Yan Gomes single to center scored Michael Brantley with two out. On the play, Carlos Santana advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Michael Bourn due up.
Rangers 0, Indians 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 28 3:09 PM
- Jason Kipnis single to right scored Michael Bourn with two out. On the play, Nick Swisher advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Rangers 0, Indians 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 28 2:41 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 28 1:06 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22