Cespedes, A's run past AngelsJul 29, 2013 - 5:43 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Yoenis Cespedes went 3-for-5 with four RBI as the Oakland Athletics took a 10-6 win over the LA Angels of Anaheim to wrap up a four-game set.
Brandon Moss drove in two runs while Eric Sogard had three hits, two runs scored and two RBI for the Athletics, who took the final three games of this set after dropping the opener.
Jarrod Parker lasted just five-plus innings in the start as he was roughed up for six runs on five hits and seven walks. Jesse Chavez (2-2) pitched two innings of scoreless action to get the win.
"These guys are pretty relentless at the plate," said Oakland manager Bob Melvin. "When we were down early I wasn't too worried because I knew we'd get some runs in."
Alberto Callaspo and Howie Kendrick each drove in two runs for the Angels, who have lost six of their last eight games.
Tommy Hanson was charged with five runs on four hits and five walks in 4 2/3 innings. J.C. Gutierrez (0-2) was saddled with the loss as he gave up four runs while recording just two outs.
"The problem was the walks," Hanson said. "You get a five-run lead after two and start walking guys, it's not how you draw it up."
Before the game, the Angels placed slugger Albert Pujols on the 15-day disabled list with a partial tear of the plantar fascia in his left foot.
Trailing by a run to start the bottom of the sixth, the A's put five runs across in the frame to take control.
Seth Smith walked to leadoff and quickly came home on Stephen Vogt's double to left. Sogard followed with an RBI single, and scored himself two batters later on Jed Lowrie's double. After Josh Donaldson walked, run-scoring hits followed from Moss and Cespedes for a 10-6 lead.
The Angels got a pair of two-out walks in the seventh, but Hank Conger grounded out back to the mound.
Sean Doolittle pitched a 1-2-3 eighth, while Dan Otero worked around a two-out double in the ninth to close out the win.
The Angels got to Parker in their first turn at the plate to the tune of four runs.
J.B. Shuck and Erick Aybar walked to leadoff and there were runners at the corners after Mike Trout hit into a fielder's choice. Following a strikeout by Josh Hamilton, Kendrick and Mark Trumbo hit RBI singles and Callaspo followed with a two-run single for a 4-0 lead.
It was 5-0 in the second inning as Kendrick hit into a fielder's choice to plate Aybar, who had led off with a triple.
Oakland got three back in the third on an RBI double from Sogard and a two-run double by Cespedes to make it a 5-3 contest.
Coco Crisp led off the fifth with a walk and Lowrie followed with a single to put runners at the corners. Moss later hit into a fielder's choice to plate one run and Cespedes tied the game with a run-scoring single.
The Angels went back on top in the sixth on Aybar's RBI double to right to make it a 6-5 game.
The A's host the Blue Jays for three games starting on Monday ... The Angles recalled outfielder Kole Calhoun from Triple-A Salt Lake to fill Pujols' roster spot ... The Angels play three in Texas starting on Monday ... The A's have won nine of the 13 games against the Angels this season.
- LOS ANGELES: 6
Jul 28 7:40 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes double to center scored Josh Donaldson with one out. On the play, Brandon Moss advances to third. Runners on second and third and Josh Reddick due up.
Angels 6, Athletics 10 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 28 7:00 PM
- Brandon Moss single to right scored Jed Lowrie with one out. On the play, Josh Donaldson advances to third. Runners on first and third and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Angels 6, Athletics 9 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 28 6:58 PM
- Jed Lowrie double to right scored Eric Sogard with one out. On the play Jed Lowrie advances to third on Kole Calhoun's fielding error. Runner on third and Josh Donaldson due up.
Angels 6, Athletics 8 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 28 6:50 PM
- Eric Sogard single to center scored Stephen Vogt with none out. On the play, Eric Sogard advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Coco Crisp due up.
Angels 6, Athletics 7 Bot 6, 0 OutsJul 28 6:46 PM
- Stephen Vogt double to left scored Seth Smith with none out. Runner on second and Eric Sogard due up.
Angels 6, Athletics 6 Bot 6, 0 OutsJul 28 6:44 PM
- Erick Aybar double to right scored Kole Calhoun with one out. On the play, Chris Iannetta advances to third. Runners on second and third and Mike Trout due up.
Angels 6, Athletics 5 Top 6, 1 OutJul 28 6:33 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes single to right scored Brandon Moss with two out. Runner on first and Josh Reddick due up.
Angels 5, Athletics 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 28 6:11 PM
- Brandon Moss grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Coco Crisp with two out. Jed Lowrie out at second. Runner on first and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Angels 5, Athletics 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 28 6:09 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes double to center scored Eric Sogard and Jed Lowrie with two out. On the play, Brandon Moss advances to third. Runners on second and third and Josh Reddick due up.
Angels 5, Athletics 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 28 5:40 PM
- Eric Sogard double to right scored Stephen Vogt with none out. Runner on second with none out and Jed Lowrie due up.
Angels 5, Athletics 1 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 28 5:35 PM
- Eric Sogard doubled to right. On the play, Stephen Vogt advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Coco Crisp due up.
Angels 5, Athletics 0 Bot 3, 0 OutsJul 28 5:32 PM
- Eric Sogard double to right scored Stephen Vogt with none out. Runner on second and Coco Crisp due up.
Angels 5, Athletics 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsJul 28 5:26 PM
- Howie Kendrick grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second scored Erick Aybar with two out. Mike Trout out at second. Runner on first and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 5, Athletics 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 28 4:53 PM
- Alberto Callaspo single to left scored Howie Kendrick and Mark Trumbo. with two out Runner on first and Kole Calhoun due up.
Angels 4, Athletics 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 28 4:25 PM
- Mark Trumbo single to right scored Mike Trout with two out. On the play, Howie Kendrick advances to second. Runners on first and second and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 2, Athletics 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 28 4:20 PM
- Howie Kendrick single to center scored J.B. Shuck with two out. On the play, Mike Trout advances to third. Runners on first and third and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 1, Athletics 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 28 4:19 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 28 4:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22