Pierzynski, Soto homer in ninth to cap Texas comeback winJul 30, 2013 - 2:49 AM Texas Rangers to a 4-3 win over the LA Angels of Anaheim in the opener of a three-game set.
Pierzynski started the frame with a homer to right off Ernesto Frieri (0-3). Soto delivered a towering shot to left field on a two-out, full-count fastball to cap the comeback.
Jason Frasor (1-2) pitched a perfect ninth inning to grab the win for the Rangers, who snapped a four-game skid.
Josh Hamilton, who was in a 3-for-26 slump, went 2-for-4 with two RBI and J.B. Shuck connected on his first major league home run for the Angels, who have lost four straight.
Jered Weaver continued to stay dominate post All-Star break. He allowed just one run on five hits and a walk while fanning six over seven stellar innings.
Rangers starter Matt Garza yielded three runs on five hits and three walks with six strikeouts. He was charged with more than two runs for the first time since June 11 against the Reds.
Shuck thought he had his first career homer on June 5 when he faced Garza as a Cub in Chicago, but it was overturned by replay. He didn't make it come down to replay this time. He smacked a belt-high fastball 10 rows into the right- field seats in the fifth to get the Angels on the board.
After Shuck's home run, Erick Aybar drew a walk and Mike Trout beat out a two- out double to center to put runners in scoring position. Hamilton delivered a base hit just out of the reach of third baseman Adrian Beltre to give the Angels a 3-0 lead.
Weaver retired 12 in a row before a Leonys Martin bunt single in the sixth. Elvis Andrus' groundout moved Martin to second and he came around to score on an Ian Kinsler RBI single up the middle.
The Angels had the bases loaded in the eighth, but Neal Cotts was able to get Hank Conger to ground out to second to keep the deficit at two.
Andrus hit a single off Dane De La Rosa in the bottom of the eighth with one out. He stole second and advanced to third when Angels catcher Conger's throw went into center field. Andrus scored on a Kinsler sac fly to right to make it a one-run game.
The Rangers snapped a 26-inning scoreless streak on Kinsler's RBI single in the sixth ... Andrus has extended his hitting streak to 11 games, going 1- for-4 ... Rangers first baseman Mitch Moreland is 2-for-39 since the All-Star break ... The Angels finished 1-for-6 with runners in scoring position, while Texas went 1-for-5 with RISP.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
Jul 29 10:19 PM
- Geovany Soto two-out, solo Home Run (5) to left to end the game.
Angels 3, Rangers 4 Bot 9, 2 OutsJul 29 10:17 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski lead-off Home Run (11) to right. Nelson Cruz due up.
Angels 3, Rangers 3 Bot 9, 0 OutsJul 29 10:10 PM
- Ian Kinsler sacrifice fly to right scored Elvis Andrus with two out. None on and Adrian Beltre due up.
Angels 3, Rangers 2 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 29 9:55 PM
- Ian Kinsler single to center scored Leonys Martin with two out. Runner on first and Adrian Beltre due up.
Angels 3, Rangers 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 29 9:05 PM
- Josh Hamilton single to left scored Erick Aybar and Mike Trout with two out. Runner on first and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 3, Rangers 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 29 8:39 PM
- J.B. Shuck one-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 1, Rangers 0 Top 5, 1 OutJul 29 8:30 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 29 7:12 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22