Cespedes homers, A's top Blue JaysJul 30, 2013 - 5:44 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Yoenis Cespedes finished 3-for-5 with a triple, home run and three RBI to lead the Oakland Athletics to a 9-4 win over the Toronto Blue Jays in the opener of a three-game set.
Cespedes finished a double shy of the cycle and snapped a 25-game homerless drought. Josh Reddick also drove in three runs, while Jed Lowrie, Seth Smith and Stephen Vogt each added an RBI for the Athletics, winners of four straight.
A.J. Griffin (10-7) surrendered four runs on four hits with two walks while fanning five over seven frames. It's his fourth win in his last six starts.
Esmil Rogers (3-5) was pounded for eight runs -- six earned -- on nine hits and three walks in 4 1/3 innings. He is winless in his last seven outings, with his last win coming on June 18 against the Rockies.
Edwin Encarnacion, Adam Lind and Brett Lawrie all homered for the Blue Jays, who started their 10-game road trip by losing for the ninth time in 12 contests.
The A's jumped on Rogers in the first. Coco Crisp walked and Eric Sogard reached on first baseman Encarnacion's fielding error. Lowrie had an RBI single to right and Cespedes cleared the bases with a triple down the left- field line. Reddick's sacrifice fly to center capped the four-run first.
After a Brandon Moss single to start the third, Smith connected on a two-out, line-drive double to right to make it 5-0 Oakland.
Griffin had a perfect game bid going into the fifth, but it was broken up when Lind crushed a one-out homer to deep center.
The A's added three more runs in the home half of the fifth. With runners on first and second, Reddick hit a two-run double off the top of the center-field wall. Reddick then scored from third on Vogt's base hit to right to give Oakland a seven-run cushion.
Lawrie stroked a leadoff homer in the sixth inning. After a two-out walk to Jose Bautista, Encarnacion blasted his 29th home run of the season to make it an 8-4 game.
Cespedes crushed his 16th home run of the year and first since June 21 off Brett Cecil to begin the eighth.
The A's improved 15-8 in the month of July ... Encarnacion was named AL Player of the Week on Monday ... Griffin has allowed 10 home runs in his last five starts ... Oakland finished 6-for-16 with runners in scoring position.
- TORONTO: 4
Jul 30 12:45 AM
- Yoenis Cespedes lead-off Home Run (16) to left. Brandon Moss due up.
Blue Jays 4, Athletics 9 Bot 8, 0 OutsJul 30 12:35 AM
- Edwin Encarnacion two-out, two-run Home Run (29) to left center scored Jose Bautista. Adam Lind due up.
Blue Jays 4, Athletics 8 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 29 11:45 PM
- Brett Lawrie lead-off Home Run (8) to left. Jose Reyes due up.
Blue Jays 2, Athletics 8 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 29 11:40 PM
- Stephen Vogt single to right scored Josh Reddick. On the play, Seth Smith advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Coco Crisp due up.
Blue Jays 1, Athletics 8 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 29 11:32 PM
- Josh Reddick double to center scored Brandon Moss and Josh Donaldson. Runner on second with one out and Seth Smith due up.
Blue Jays 1, Athletics 7 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 29 11:29 PM
- Adam Lind one-out, solo Home Run (13) to left center. Colby Rasmus due up.
Blue Jays 1, Athletics 5 Top 5, 1 OutJul 29 11:14 PM
- Seth Smith double to right scored Brandon Moss. Runner on second with two out and Stephen Vogt due up.
Blue Jays 0, Athletics 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 29 10:57 PM
- Josh Reddick sacrifice fly to center scored Yoenis Cespedes. On the play, Josh Donaldson advances to second. Runner on second with two out and Seth Smith due up.
Blue Jays 0, Athletics 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 29 10:30 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes triple to left scored Eric Sogard and Jed Lowrie. Runner on third with none out and Brandon Moss due up.
Blue Jays 0, Athletics 3 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 29 10:22 PM
- Jed Lowrie single to right scored Coco Crisp. On the play, Eric Sogard advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Blue Jays 0, Athletics 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 29 10:20 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 29 10:07 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21