Red Sox get back on track by sinking MarinersJul 31, 2013 - 6:18 AM Boston, MA (Sports Network) - Dustin Pedroia and Jarrod Saltalamacchia each hit a two-run homer, while Brandon Workman won his first major-league game, as Boston dismantled Seattle, 8-2, in the opener of a three-game series from Fenway Park.
Pedroia ended up with two hits and three RBI and Shane Victorino finished with three hits and scored three times for the Red Sox, who have won three of their last four.
Boston remained a half-game behind Tampa Bay in the AL East, as the Rays opened up their series against Arizona with a win.
Workman (1-1) scattered six hits and one run over six effective innings, fanning a career-best nine batters with one walk.
"Hopefully tonight is the first of many wins in his career," said Boston manager John Farrell about Workman. "As we've seen in the three starts he's made, once he gets through the first three innings he starts to get a good rhythm going."
Following the game Boston acquired right-handed pitcher Jake Peavy in a three- team deal with the Chicago White Sox and Detroit Tigers.
The Red Sox received the former Cy Young Award winner and sent minor league pitchers J.B. Wendelken and Francelis Montas and infielder Cleuluis Rondon to the White Sox.
Boston also received right-handed pitcher Brayan Villarreal and outfielder Avisail Garcia from the Tigers for shortstop Jose Iglesias. The Red Sox then sent Garcia to the White Sox.
Kendrys Morales hit an RBI single and Henry Blanco an RBI double for the Mariners, who began a six-game road trip with their fourth loss in six outings.
Joe Saunders (9-10) was battered for nine hits and six runs -- five earned -- over his six-inning start.
"It didn't look like he had his best stuff out there," said Seattle acting manager Robby Thompson about Saunders. "He just wasn't getting the ball down in the zone and getting some of those calls."
Jacoby Ellsbury's one-out homer into the right-field bullpen made it 3-1 for Boston in the home second. Victorino then singled and when Pedroia cleared the Green Monster with two down, the hosts led by four.
In the fourth, Victorino doubled with two down and scored on a Pedroia single, but the inning concluded when Pedroia took a wide turn at first and was thrown out trying to scramble back.
Workman escaped a jam in the sixth, fanning both Michael Morse and Justin Smoak swinging with the bases loaded. Kyle Seager, Morales and Raul Ibanez all singled with one down to load the bases, but the 24-year-old right-hander stayed cool and exited with no further damage.
Mike Napoli's one-out single in the eighth was followed by a two-run blast from Saltalamacchia for an 8-1 game.
Pedro Beato was dented in the ninth as Blanco plated Smoak with a two-out double to get the M's within six, but that was all the visitors had left in the tank.
A Morales two-out single scored Nick Franklin to put the Mariners on the board in the first, but the Sox responded with two in the home half as Victorino scored on a passed ball and a David Ortiz single plated Pedroia.
Workman's previous high was five strikeouts, in a July 14 no-decision at Oakland ... The Red Sox have won four of the five meetings this season with Seattle ... Prior to the contest, the Mariners activated Morse from the 15-day disabled list and designated outfielder Jason Bay for assignment.
- SEATTLE: 2
Jul 30 9:58 PM
- Henry Blanco single to left scored Justin Smoak. On the play, Michael Saunders advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Brad Miller due up.
Mariners 2, Red Sox 8 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 30 9:58 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia one-out, two-run Home Run (9) to center scored Mike Napoli. Jonny Gomes due up.
Mariners 1, Red Sox 8 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 30 9:41 PM
- Dustin Pedroia single to center scored Shane Victorino. On the play, Dustin Pedroia thrown out at first to end the inning.
Mariners 1, Red Sox 6 End 4Jul 30 8:36 PM
- Dustin Pedroia one-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left scored Shane Victorino. David Ortiz due up.
Mariners 1, Red Sox 5 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 30 8:02 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury one-out, solo Home Run (5) to right. Shane Victorino due up.
Mariners 1, Red Sox 3 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 30 7:54 PM
- David Ortiz single to left scored Dustin Pedroia. Runner on first with one out and Mike Napoli due up.
Mariners 1, Red Sox 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 30 7:33 PM
- Henry Blanco's passed ball scored Shane Victorino. On the play, Dustin Pedroia advances to second on the passed ball. Runner on second with one out and David Ortiz at the plate.
Mariners 1, Red Sox 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 30 7:32 PM
- Kendrys Morales single to center scored Nick Franklin. Runner on first with two outs and Raul Ibanez due up.
Mariners 1, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 30 7:20 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 30 7:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21