Buehrle helps Jays blank A'sJul 31, 2013 - 5:02 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Jose Bautista hit his 25th home run of the season and Mark Buerhle threw seven shutout innings as the Toronto Blue Jays blanked the Oakland Athletics, 5-0, in the middle test of a three-game set.
Buerhle (7-7) scattered five hits and struck out two in his outing. The 34- year-old lefty was coming off a two-hit shutout against the Astros on Thursday.
Emilio Bonifacio also had a home run while Colby Rasmus provided an RBI for the Blue Jays, who have won four of six.
Dan Straily (6-5) gave up all five runs -- two earned -- on six hits and a pair of walks for the Athletics, who had a four-game winning streak snapped.
Bautista's solo shot came with two outs in the first.
Three innings later, Edwin Encarnacion and Adam Lind hit back-to-back one-out singles, before Rasmus smacked a single to left. A's left fielder Yoenis Cespedes was unable to make a grab, allowing Encarnacion to score.
Toronto scored three more runs in the fifth. Bonifacio clubbed a 2-2 pitch to lead off. After Jose Reyes walked, Izturis grounded into a fielder's choice, but a throwing error by A's shortstop Adam Rosales allowed him to reach first and Reyes to score.
After Lind was walked with two outs, Straily was replaced by Dan Otero, but he gave up an RBI single to Rasmus.
Darren Oliver came out to pitch in the ninth for Toronto. The 42-year-old lefty gave up a leadoff double to Jed Lowrie and a infield single to Cespedes. Lowrie reached third after Josh Donaldson grounded into a double play, but Oliver retired Nate Freiman to end the game.
During the game, the Athletics acquired infielder Alberto Callaspo from the Los Angeles Angels in exchange for infielder Grant Green ... Bautista has 25 home runs for the fourth straight season. He's the fourth player in Blue Jays history to accomplish the feat, joining Carlos Delgado, Joe Carter and George Bell ... Oakland's Bartolo Colon is scheduled to face Toronto's R.A. Dickey in Wednesday's series finale.
- TORONTO: 5
Jul 31 12:43 AM
- Colby Rasmus single to right scored Maicer Izturis with two out. On the play, Adam Lind advances to second. Runners on first and second and J.P. Arencibia due up.
Blue Jays 5, Athletics 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 30 11:28 PM
- Maicer Izturis reached first on a force attempt, fielding error by Adam Rosales. On the play, Jose Reyes scored and Maicer Izturis to second on the throw.. Runner on second with none out and Jose Bautista due up.
Blue Jays 4, Athletics 0 Top 5, 0 OutsJul 30 11:23 PM
- Emilio Bonifacio lead-off Home Run (3) to right. Jose Reyes due up.
Blue Jays 3, Athletics 0 Top 5, 0 OutsJul 30 11:14 PM
- Colby Rasmus single to left. On the play, Adam Lind advances to second and Edwin Encarnacion scored on Yoenis Cespedes's fielding error with one out. Runners on first and second and J.P. Arencibia due up.
Blue Jays 2, Athletics 0 Top 4, 1 OutJul 30 10:58 PM
- Jose Bautista two-out, solo Home Run (25) to left. Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Blue Jays 1, Athletics 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 30 10:14 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 30 10:10 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21