Angels down Blue JaysAug 4, 2013 - 4:33 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Jered Weaver tossed 7 2/3 solid innings as the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim downed the Toronto Blue Jays, 7-3, in the third test of a four-game set.
Weaver (6-5) gave up three runs on seven hits and two walks while fanning five to earn his third win in as many decisions.
Kole Calhoun hit a solo homer while Howie Kendrick, Mark Trumbo, Chris Nelson and Erick Aybar added one RBI apiece for the Angels, who have taken the first three games of the series.
"Guys are having good at-bats. Everybody has been swinging the bats well, including the guys we brought up," said Kendrick.
Mike Trout and Josh Hamilton each scored two runs in the win.
Brett Lawrie hit a solo homer while Edwin Encarnacion and J.P. Arencibia each added one RBI for the Blue Jays.
Esmil Rogers (3-6) was tagged for seven runs -- five earned -- on 10 hits over five innings to absorb the loss.
The Halos took a 3-0 lead in the first inning. With the bases loaded, Trumbo grounded into a force out, but it was enough to score Trout. Aybar followed with a base hit to center to score Hamilton and Nelson capped the frame with an RBI single to right.
Lawrie led off the third with a homer to pull the Blue Jays within 3-1.
LA broke the game open with a four-run fifth. Calhoun opened the frame with his second homer of the season. Trout was then hit by a pitch and Hamilton singled to put two on with no outs for Kendrick, who ripped a single to center. Colby Rasmus' throw to the plate was off target allowing Trout to score easily, but Arencibia tried to get Kendrick who broke for second. Arencibia's throw missed high and rolled deep into right-center allowing both runners to come around.
Encarnacion singled home Calhoun in the sixth and Arencibia's ground out in the seventh allowed Rasmus to score, accounting for the final differential.
"We spotted them three and it was an uphill battle from there. We just couldn't do anything with Weaver," said Blue Jays manager John Gibbons.
LA went 4-for-6 with runners in scoring position ... Trumbo has 66 RBI this season ... Kendrick went 3-for-4 and extended his hitting streak to eight games ... The Blue Jays were 1-for-5 with RISP and left five runners on base ... Rogers hasn't won since June 18.
- TORONTO: 3
LOS ANGELES: 7
Aug 3 11:44 PM
- J.P. Arencibia grounded out second to first scored Colby Rasmus. None on with two outs and Emilio Bonifacio due up.
Blue Jays 3, Angels 7 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 3 11:05 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion singled to right scored Jose Bautista. Runner on first with one out and Adam Lind due up.
Blue Jays 2, Angels 7 Top 6, 1 OutAug 3 10:49 PM
- Howie Kendrick singled to center scored Mike Trout. On the play, J.P. Arencibia's throwing error scored Josh Hamilton and Howie Kendrick. None on with none out and Mark Trumbo due up.
Blue Jays 1, Angels 7 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 3 10:38 PM
- Kole Calhoun lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Mike Trout due up.
Blue Jays 1, Angels 4 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 3 10:33 PM
- Brett Lawrie lead-off Home Run (9) to left center. J.P. Arencibia due up.
Blue Jays 1, Angels 3 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 3 9:48 PM
- Chris Nelson singled to right scored Mark Trumbo. On the play, Erick Aybar advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and J.B. Shuck due up.
Blue Jays 0, Angels 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 3 9:30 PM
- Erick Aybar singled to center scored Josh Hamilton. On the play, Mark Trumbo advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Chris Nelson due up.
Blue Jays 0, Angels 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 3 9:27 PM
- Mark Trumbo grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored. Mike Trout Howie Kendrick out at second, Josh Hamilton advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Erick Aybar due up.
Blue Jays 0, Angels 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 3 9:25 PM
- TORONTO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 3 9:09 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22