DeRosa comes through in pinch as Jays edge M'sAug 6, 2013 - 5:07 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Mark DeRosa's pinch-hit, two-run single capped a three-run eighth inning and boosted the Toronto Blue Jays to a 3-1 win over the Seattle Mariners.
Jose Reyes added an RBI single for the Blue Jays, who have won two straight after losing the first three contests in Anaheim over the weekend.
R.A. Dickey (9-11) snapped a five-start winless stretch. The knuckleball specialist allowed eight hits and fanned five to pick up his first victory since July 1 against Detroit.
Casey Janssen retired the side in order in the ninth on three ground balls to DeRosa.
Hisashi Iwakuma (10-5) was charged with four hits and two runs over 7 1/3 innings. The right-hander had won his previous three decisions, but suffered his first defeat since July 4 at Texas.
Justin Smoak led off the seventh inning with a homer to right field, but the Mariners lost for the fifth time in seven games. Seattle had runners at the corners later in the frame, but Kyle Seager grounded into a double play to end the frame.
Brett Lawrie tripled to right-center leading off the eighth, and one out later Reyes lined a hit to center field. Yoervis Medina entered from the bullpen and retired Rajai Davis on a fly ball.
Jose Bautista singled and went to second on a wild pitch. Edwin Encarnacion walked, and Oliver Perez then gave up DeRosa's line single to left.
The Mariners were upset at a pair of calls in the eighth, ones that should have resulted in pickoffs. Reyes looked out at first and replays showed Encarnacion was tagged out at second, but the latter came after DeRosa's single ... Mariners catcher Jesus Montero, who is currently on the roster of the Triple-A Tacoma Rainiers of the Pacific Coast League, was given a 50-game suspension by MLB Monday as part of the Biogenesis of America investigation. Blue Jays outfielder Melky Cabrera avoided a suspension because he already served a 50-game penalty for a violation stemming from his connection to Biogenesis.
- TORONTO: 3
Aug 6 12:55 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Mark DeRosa single to left scored Jose Reyes and Jose Bautista with two out. On the play, Edwin Encarnacion advances to second. Runners on first and second and Colby Rasmus due up.
Blue Jays 3, Mariners 1 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 6 12:30 AM
- Jose Reyes single to center scored Brett Lawrie with one out. Runner on first and Rajai Davis due up.
Blue Jays 1, Mariners 1 Top 8, 1 OutAug 6 12:14 AM
- Justin Smoak lead-off Home Run (11) to right. Dustin Ackley due up.
Blue Jays 0, Mariners 1 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 5 11:59 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 5 10:11 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21