Johnson snaps out of funk, Jays down MarinersAug 7, 2013 - 5:31 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Blue Jays pitcher Josh Johnson came into Tuesday's game against Seattle with an 8.92 ERA over his previous eight starts and a 14.06 mark over his last four.
The veteran right-hander finally ended his long personal skid, while Seattle's Felix Hernandez suffered his first loss in more than two months.
Johnson allowed five hits and fanned five in five shutout innings in Toronto's 7-2 victory in the second portion of a three-game series.
Johnson (2-8), who lost his previous six starts, earned his first win since June 23 against Baltimore. It was only his second win in his last 19 starts, going back to last season.
Jose Reyes hit the game's first pitch from Hernandez (11-5) over the wall in right field. Reyes and Emilio Bonifacio each knocked in two runs for the Blue Jays, who have won three in a row on the road.
Hernandez, who had been 6-0 over his last 12 appearances, suffered his first defeat since May 25 versus Texas. He was charged with six runs -- three earned -- on nine hits and three walks over five frames.
Brad Miller stroked a two-run triple for the Mariners, who have dropped six of their last eight games. Seattle committed a season-high four errors.
Reyes hit his 100th career homer, and the Blue Jays tacked on three runs in the fourth thanks to Bonifacio's two-run double to right field followed by a Reyes base hit to center. The hits came after a pair of errors.
"You give them extra outs, it's not a good thing. It made Felix work a little harder," Mariners acting manager Robby Thompson said.
Colby Rasmus and Brett Lawrie had RBI singles in the fifth, and Rasmus made a leaping catch at the wall to rob Kendrys Morales of a homer in the sixth.
Edwin Encarnacion's double plated another run in the seventh for a 7-0 lead before Miller's hit to center over the head of Rasmus broke the shutout.
Johnson entered the game 0-5 with a 9.00 ERA in six road starts this year ... Less than a week after being removed from the closer's role, Seattle's Tom Wilhelmsen was optioned to Triple-A Tacoma on Tuesday. The Mariners recalled reliever Carter Capps from Tacoma in a corresponding move ... Lawrie has a nine-game hitting streak, during which time he's batting .424 (14-for-33) ... Mariners second baseman Nick Franklin went hitless in three at-bats and is mired in an 0-for-27 slump.
- TORONTO: 7
Aug 7 1:06 AM
- Brad Miller triple to center scored Justin Smoak and Henry Blanco with two out. Runner on third and Nick Franklin due up.
Blue Jays 7, Mariners 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 7 12:36 AM
- Edwin Encarnacion double to left. On the play, Jose Bautista scored on Raul Ibanez's throwing error with none out. Runner on second and Adam Lind due up.
Blue Jays 7, Mariners 0 Top 7, 0 OutsAug 7 12:19 AM
- Brett Lawrie single to left scored Adam Lind with two out. On the play, Colby Rasmus advances to second. Runners on first and second and Josh Thole due up.
Blue Jays 6, Mariners 0 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 6 11:42 PM
- Colby Rasmus single to left scored Jose Bautista with two out. On the play, Adam Lind advances to second. Runners on first and second and Brett Lawrie due up.
Blue Jays 5, Mariners 0 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 6 11:41 PM
- Jose Reyes single to center scored Emilio Bonifacio with two out. Runner on first and Maicer Izturis due up.
Blue Jays 4, Mariners 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 6 11:21 PM
- Emilio Bonifacio double to right scored Colby Rasmus and Brett Lawrie with two out. Runner on second and Jose Reyes due up.
Blue Jays 3, Mariners 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 6 11:20 PM
- Jose Reyes lead-off Home Run (8) to right. Maicer Izturis due up.
Blue Jays 1, Mariners 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 6 10:11 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 6 10:11 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21