Rangers rout Angels, pull even with A'sAug 8, 2013 - 6:31 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Adrian Beltre went 3-for-4 with a two-run home run, three RBI and four runs scored as the Texas Rangers thumped the LA Angels of Anaheim, 10-3, to sweep a three-game set.
Mitch Moreland and David Murphy each drove in two runs, while Leonys Martin and Elvis Andrus each scored twice for the Rangers, who have won four straight and nine of 10 to pull into a virtual tie with Oakland for first place in the AL West.
"It's nice to be back in the hunt again," Rangers manager Ron Washington said. "We have to continue to play our baseball. To be successful you have to win your division. The whole team is playing tremendous baseball. Tonight was a step forward."
Alexi Ogando (5-3) pitched five innings to get the win, giving up two runs and four hits with two walks and four strikeouts.
The Rangers had seven stolen bases with Martin and Andrus each having three.
"We've been more consistent getting big hits. First place is the place we're supposed to be," Beltre said. "It was fun tonight. We found a way to score runs. We took advantage of a team that is not playing well right now."
Mike Trout hit a two-run home run and Kole Calhoun drove in a run for the Angels, who have lost their past four games.
Tommy Hanson (4-3) continued to struggle as he gave up five runs on seven hits in just 4 2/3 frames to take the loss. He hasn't gone more than 5 1/3 innings in each of his last five starts and has been charged with 22 earned runs over that time.
"There are some areas we are not very good at right now and it starts with our starting pitching," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "We have to do a better job, as simple as that. Our frustration level is there, but it's manageable."
A Moreland sacrifice fly in the first staked the Rangers to an early lead, but the Angels countered in the home half thanks to Trout's two-run shot, his 20th of the year, for a 2-1 advantage.
The Rangers, though, went on top for good in the third as Ian Kinsler singled in a run with men on the corners, and Beltre followed with a run-scoring groundout. Moreland later singled home another run for a 4-2 lead.
Texas added another run in the fifth off a Jurickson Profar RBI single, and Beltre's two-run home run in the sixth made it a 7-2 contest.
Martin's sac fly in the seventh padded Texas' lead to six runs, but Calhoun doubled in Hank Conger in the home seventh for an 8-3 game.
A two-run double by Murphy in the eighth put the game out of reach.
Trout turned 22 Wednesday and became the first player to ever homer on his 21st and 22nd birthdays ... Texas has off on Thursday before starting a four- game set in Houston on Friday ... The Angels hit the road for the next seven games starting in Cleveland on Friday ... The Rangers have won 10 of the 12 games against the Angels this season ... Texas went 6-for-20 with runners in scoring position and left 14 on base.
- TEXAS: 10
LOS ANGELES: 3
Aug 8 2:00 AM
- David Murphy double to center scored Adrian Beltre and Mitch Moreland with one out. On the play, Geovany Soto advances to third. Runners on second and third and Craig Gentry due up.
Rangers 10, Angels 3 Top 8, 1 OutAug 8 1:28 AM
- Kole Calhoun double to center scored Hank Conger with one out. Runner on second and Mike Trout due up.
Rangers 8, Angels 3 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 8 1:07 AM
- Leonys Martin sacrifice fly to left scored Craig Gentry with two out. None on and Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 8, Angels 2 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 8 12:57 AM
- Adrian Beltre one-out, two-run Home Run (25) to left scored Elvis Andrus. Mitch Moreland due up.
Rangers 7, Angels 2 Top 6, 1 OutAug 8 12:31 AM
- Jurickson Profar infield single to short scored Adrian Beltre with two out. On the play, Craig Gentry advances to second and David Murphy advances to third. Bases loaded and Leonys Martin due up.
Rangers 5, Angels 2 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 8 12:07 AM
- Mitch Moreland single to right scored Adrian Beltre with one out. Runner on first and Geovany Soto due up.
Rangers 4, Angels 2 Top 3, 1 OutAug 7 11:11 PM
- Adrian Beltre grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Elvis Andrus with one out. Ian Kinsler out at second. Runner on first and Mitch Moreland due up.
Rangers 3, Angels 2 Top 3, 1 OutAug 7 11:08 PM
- Ian Kinsler single to center scored Leonys Martin with none out. On the play, Elvis Andrus advances to third. Runners on first and third and Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 2, Angels 2 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 7 11:04 PM
- Mike Trout none-out, two-run Home Run (20) to left scored Kole Calhoun. Josh Hamilton due up.
Rangers 1, Angels 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 7 10:31 PM
- Mitch Moreland sacrifice fly to left scored Leonys Martin with two out. On the play, Elvis Andrus advances to third. Runners on first and third and and Geovany Soto due up.
Rangers 1, Angels 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 7 10:22 PM
- TEXAS: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 7 10:12 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22