Hamilton, Weaver carry Angels over IndiansAug 10, 2013 - 3:44 AM Cleveland, OH (Sports Network) - Josh Hamilton belted a three-home run and Jered Weaver pitched seven solid innings as the Los Angeles Angels snapped a four-game losing streak with a 5-2 victory over the Cleveland Indians.
Weaver (7-5) gave up solo shots to Michael Brantley and Asdrubal Cabrera, along with four other hits in his outing. The 30-year-old right-hander has earned wins in four of his last five starts and has not lost since July 13 against the Mariners.
"I was pretty erratic early on, but was able to settle in later," Weaver said. "I was falling behind. My command probably wasn't as good as it's been in the past, but I was able to make some pitches to get out of stuff."
Mark Trumbo drove in two runs while Mike Trout had two stolen bases and a run scored in the victory.
Scott Kazmir (7-5) surrendered all five runs on six hits and a walk over three-plus innings to lose for the first time following a 10-start unbeaten string. It's his first defeat since June 10 at Texas.
"I feels like now I'm going through some dead-arm stage," Kazmir admitted. "I think pretty much everyone is this time of year. I just knew going into it I could go out there and gut it out, but it just didn't work out."
The Indians have lost five straight.
The Angels hammered Kazmir in the first. J.B. Shuck and Collin Cowgill hit back-to-back singles to start the game and Trout walked to load the bases. Trumbo's chopper to left brought Shuck and Cowgill home. After Chris Nelson struck out and Trout stole third, Hamilton clubbed a 2-2 pitch to right for his 17th homer of the year.
Brantley got the Indians on the board with a shot to right-center in the second. Cabrera homered two innings later.
Neither team mustered much offense for the rest of the game.
Weaver's final hit allowed was a one-out double by Jason Kipnis in the sixth and he was replaced in the eighth by J.C. Gutierrez, who gave up a leadoff single to Yan Gomes before retiring the next three batters.
Cleveland's Carlos Carrasco, who was recalled from Triple-A Columbus prior to the game, allowed just one hit -- a leadoff single by Chris Iannetta in the seventh -- and three walks over the final five frames.
Dane De La Rosa pitched the bottom of the ninth for the Angels. Cabrera hit a liner to left, but Trout make an excellent diving catch to collect the first out. Carlos Santana drew a two-out walk and advanced to second on a fielder's indifference, but De La Rosa got Jason Giambi to ground out towards first to pick up his first career save.
Weaver is 7-2 with a 2.86 ERA against the Indians in 15 career starts and has never lost in Cleveland ... Hamilton came into the game 2-for-26 with one RBI in August ... Trumbo has seven runs scored, four home runs and 12 RBI over his last 10 games ... Kazmir entered the game 4-0 and allowed just 12 earned runs over 56 innings in his previous nine starts ... Los Angeles' C.J. Wilson is scheduled to face Cleveland's Ubaldo Jimenez on Saturday.
- LOS ANGELES: 5
Aug 9 9:55 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera lead-off Home Run (9) to right. Michael Brantley due up.
Angels 5, Indians 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 9 8:28 PM
- Michael Brantley one-out, solo Home Run (8) to right center. Carlos Santana due up.
Angels 5, Indians 1 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 9 7:48 PM
- Josh Hamilton one-out, three-run Home Run (17) to right scored Mike Trout and Mark Trumbo. Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 5, Indians 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 9 7:23 PM
- Mark Trumbo single to left scored J.B. Shuck and Collin Cowgill. On the play, Mike Trout advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Chris Nelson due up.
Angels 2, Indians 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 9 7:18 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 9 7:05 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21