Reddick homers three times as A's pound JaysAug 10, 2013 - 7:02 AM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Josh Reddick clubbed three homers and drove in five runs as the Oakland Athletics went on the offensive with a 17-hit attack in their 14-6 trouncing of the Toronto Blue Jays at Rogers Centre.
Reddick, who had just two homers in his last 39 games entering the day, capped his evening with a three-run blast. Jed Lowrie and Yoenis Cespedes contributed back-to-back homers in the first inning to begin the onslaught.
"I finally got something to go my way. You hit it over there, they can't catch it," said Reddick.
The Athletics won for just the second time in eight games, keeping at least a share of the lead in the AL West. Jarrod Parker (8-6) scattered three runs on six hits with six strikeouts over six innings to notch the win.
Esmil Rogers (3-7) struggled once again and was beaten badly for a third straight outing. He got through just three innings, allowing three of the homers and seven runs. He is 0-5 with a 7.13 ERA over his last nine starts.
"He's battling out there," Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said. "He's a competitor. He's just going through a really tough time."
Jose Bautista and Colby Rasmus homered, while Jose Reyes, Brett Lawrie and Emilio Bonifacio each drove in a run for the Jays in the setback.
Oakland's first four batters of the game reached, with Lowrie clubbing a three-run homer and Cespedes following right after with a shot over the left field wall.
The lead grew to 6-0 the following inning. Rogers balked runners to second and third, and Coco Crisp knocked in a run with a single. Eric Sogard then lifted a sacrifice fly to right.
Lawrie, Bonifacio and Reyes each knocked in a run for the Jays to cut their deficit in half going into the third, but Rogers quickly served up his third homer of the game, a solo shot to Reddick to make it 7-3.
Reddick went deep again two innings later off reliever Neil Wagner and back- to-back doubles from Seth Smith and Stephen Vogt pushed the Athletics' advantage to 9-3.
Juan Perez was next on the hill for Toronto and he couldn't find an answer for Reddick either. After Lowrie reached with a hit and Josh Donaldson walked in the sixth, Reddick crushed a 2-0 offering over the right field wall to make it 12-3.
The scored was 14-3 after Lowrie knocked in his fourth run and Cespedes had an RBI groundout in the seventh. The Jays got a solo homer from Bautista and a two-run shot from Rasmus in the eighth.
The Athletics have won six of their last eight games in Toronto ... Sogard went 2-for-4 to extend his hitting streak to 14 games ... Oakland optioned pitcher Evan Scribner to Triple-A Sacramento prior to the game ... Bautista also doubled twice and ended 3-for-5.
- OAKLAND: 14
Aug 9 10:23 PM
- Colby Rasmus two-out, two-run Home Run (18) to center scored Adam Lind. Brett Lawrie due up.
Athletics 14, Blue Jays 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 9 10:00 PM
- Jose Bautista one-out, solo Home Run (26) to left. Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Athletics 14, Blue Jays 4 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 9 9:54 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes ground out second to first scored Eric Sogard with two out. On the play, Adam Rosales advances to third. Runner on third and Brandon Moss due up.
Athletics 14, Blue Jays 3 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 9 9:29 PM
- Jed Lowrie single to left scored Coco Crisp with one out. On the play, Eric Sogard advances to second. Runners on first and second and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Athletics 13, Blue Jays 3 Top 7, 1 OutAug 9 9:28 PM
- Josh Reddick two-out, three-run Home Run 3 (8) to right scored Jed Lowrie and Josh Donaldson. Seth Smith due up.
Athletics 12, Blue Jays 3 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 9 9:09 PM
- Stephen Vogt double to right scored Seth Smith with two out. Runner on second and Coco Crisp due up.
Athletics 9, Blue Jays 3 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 9 8:44 PM
- Josh Reddick two-out, solo Home Run 2 (7) to left. Seth Smith due up.
Athletics 8, Blue Jays 3 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 9 8:38 PM
- Josh Reddick two-out, solo Home Run (6) to right. Seth Smith due up.
Athletics 7, Blue Jays 3 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 9 8:05 PM
- Jose Reyes double to right scored Emilio Bonifacio with two out. Runner on second and Maicer Izturis due up.
Athletics 6, Blue Jays 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 9 8:02 PM
- Emilio Bonifacio single to center scored Brett Lawrie with two out. Runner on first and Jose Reyes due up.
Athletics 6, Blue Jays 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 9 8:01 PM
- Brett Lawrie double to left scored Colby Rasmus with one out. Runner on second with one out and Josh Thole due up.
Athletics 6, Blue Jays 1 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 9 8:00 PM
- Eric Sogard sacrifice fly to right scored Stephen Vogt with two out. On the play, Coco Crisp out at first. None on with two out and Jed Lowrie due up.
Athletics 6, Blue Jays 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 9 7:44 PM
- Coco Crisp single to right scored Seth Smith with none out. On the play, Stephen Vogt advances to third. Runners on first and third and Eric Sogard due up.
Athletics 5, Blue Jays 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 9 7:39 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes lead-off Home Run (18) to left. Brandon Moss due up.
Athletics 4, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 9 7:15 PM
- Jed Lowrie none-out, three-run Home Run (9) to right scored Coco Crisp and Eric Sogard. Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Athletics 3, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 9 7:14 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 9 7:09 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21