Betancourt, Brewers slam MarinersAug 10, 2013 - 7:15 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Yuniesky Betancourt hit a grand slam to help the Milwaukee Brewers take a 10-5 win over the Seattle Mariners to open a three-game series.
"I feel a little more excited," said Betancourt, who spent the first 4 1/2 seasons of his career with the Mariners. "I have good memories of here, for the people here."
Norichika Aoki had two hits and drove in three, while Martin Maldonado went 2- for-4 with two RBI and a run scored for the Brewers, who have won three of their last four. Kyle Lohse (8-7) gave up three runs on six hits with three walks and seven strikeouts over seven innings.
Justin Smoak hit a two-run home run and Kyle Seager drove in a pair for the Mariners, who have lost seven of their last 10 games. Joe Saunders (10-11) was tagged for nine runs -- four earned -- on seven hits in just 4 1/3 innings in the loss.
"I don't think Joe threw the ball that bad," acting Seattle manager Robby Thompson said. "He got the ground balls and then we didn't make the plays behind him."
Milwaukee got on the board in the third on Aoki's two-run ground-rule double, but Seattle got them back in the home half on Seager's two-run single.
In the fourth, Jeff Bianchi singled in a run and Maldonado later hit a two-run double to give the Brewers a 5-2 lead.
The big blast of the game came in the fifth as Betancourt stepped to the plate with the bases loaded and one out and he belted a 1-1 slider over the left field wall. Aoki singled in a run later in the frame for a 10-2 advantage.
Seattle got a run back in the seventh on Nick Franklin's RBI single, and Smoak crushed a two-run home run in the eighth to make it a 10-5 game.
Brandon Kintzler set the Mariners down in order in the ninth to close out the game.
The last time these teams met was in 2010 when the Brewers took two of three at home ... Each team had three errors in the game ... On Saturday, the Mariners will inducted Ken Griffey Jr. into their Hall of Fame ... Lohse moved to 3-5 in 11 games against the Mariners ... Saunders fell to 0-2 in three starts against the Brewers.
- MILWAUKEE: 10
Aug 10 1:11 AM
- Justin Smoak two-out, two-run Home Run (12) to left center scored Raul Ibanez. Michael Saunders due up.
Brewers 10, Mariners 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 10 12:55 AM
- Nick Franklin singled to right center scored Michael Saunders. On the play, Brad Miller advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Kyle Seager due up.
Brewers 10, Mariners 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 10 12:35 AM
- Norichika Aoki singled to left scored Jeff Bianchi. On the play, Scooter Gennett advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Jean Segura due up.
Brewers 10, Mariners 2 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 9 11:55 PM
- Yuniesky Betancourt one-out, Grand Slam (13) to left scored Jean Segura, Carlos Gomez and Khris Davis. Jeff Bianchi due up.
Brewers 9, Mariners 2 Top 5, 1 OutAug 9 11:45 PM
- Martin Maldonado doubled to left scored Yuniesky Betancourt and Jeff Bianchi. Runner on second with two outs and Norichika Aoki due up.
Brewers 5, Mariners 2 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 9 11:17 PM
- Jeff Bianchi singled to right scored Carlos Gomez. On the play, Yuniesky Betancourt advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Scooter Gennett due up.
Brewers 3, Mariners 2 Top 4, 1 OutAug 9 11:11 PM
- Kyle Seager singled to center scored Michael Saunders and Brad Miller. On the play, Nick Franklin advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Kendrys Morales due up.
Brewers 2, Mariners 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 9 10:55 PM
- Norichika Aoki ground-rule double to left center scored Scooter Gennett and Martin Maldonado. Runner on second with one out and Jean Segura due up.
Brewers 2, Mariners 0 Top 3, 1 OutAug 9 10:41 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 9 10:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21