Shuck helps Halos down TribeAug 11, 2013 - 3:44 AM Cleveland, OH (Sports Network) - J.B. Shuck went 2-for-3 with two RBI and four other Los Angeles players contributed an RBI apiece as the Angels defeated the Cleveland Indians, 7-2, in the middle test of a three-game set.
Erick Aybar, Chris Nelson, Mike Trout and Kole Calhoun each drove in a run for the Angels. Chris Iannetta walked three times and scored twice in the victory.
C.J. Wilson (12-6) needed 117 pitches to get through 5 1/3 innings, but it was enough to pick up the win. He allowed two runs on seven hits and four walks. The 32-year-old southpaw has not lost since July 5 against the Red Sox and has won eight of his last 11 starts.
Michael Bourn and Drew Stubbs had an RBI apiece for the Indians, who have lost six straight to fall eight games behind the Tigers atop the AL Central and four games behind the Athletics for the second wild-card spot.
"How you handle frustrations is how your season is defined," Indians manager Terry Francona said. "When we play as a team, we're pretty good, so that's what we have to do. We just have to grind through it."
Starter Ubaldo Jimenez (8-7) gave up three runs -- two earned -- on five hits and three walks over 6 1/3 innings.
In the second, Yan Gomes hit a one-out double and Mike Aviles' single to left put runners at the corners. Stubbs plated Gomes with an infield single.
However, in the third, Trout tied the game at 1-1 when he scored Iannetta on a grounder to third with the bases loaded.
The Angels took the lead two innings later. Iannetta walked to start the frame and Grant Green delivered a bunt single. Back-to-back sacrifice flies by Shuck and Calhoun gave them a 3-1 lead.
Bourn scored Gomes with an RBI single up the middle with one out in the sixth and with a slim 3-2 lead, Wilson was taken out of the game.
Los Angeles pulled away in the eighth. With runners on second and third, Aybar hit a chopper over reliever Bryan Shaw's head. Jason Kipnis caught the ball, but his throw to home was off the mark, allowing Josh Hamilton and Mark Trumbo to score. After Cody Allen replaced Shaw, Aybar scored on Nelson's base hit to center field.
Iannetta walked and Green singled to center, loading the bases and Shuck capped the inning by scoring Nelson with a sac fly.
Five Angels relievers combined to pitch perfectly through the final 4 2/3 innings, with Kevin Jepsen striking out the side in the eighth and Ernesto Frieri finishing Cleveland off in the ninth.
"They're a bunch of individuals that make that group, but there's nothing like success to make you feel good about where you need to be," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia. "We got some good arms in that bullpen and they can shut down in both leagues."
Prior to the contest, the Angels placed infielder Howie Kendrick on the 15-day disabled list and selected the contract of pitcher Buddy Boshers from Triple-A Salt Lake ... Trout has reached base safely in 40 straight games, the first Angels player to do since Orlando Cabrera set the club record with 63 from April 5-July 6, 2006 ... Trumbo has 15 RBI over his last 19 games ... The season series is tied at 5-5 ... Cleveland's Justin Masterson is scheduled to start against Los Angeles' Jerome Williams in Sunday's series finale.
- LOS ANGELES: 7
Aug 10 10:46 PM
- J.B. Shuck sacrifice fly to left scored Chris Nelson with one out. Runners on first and second and Kole Calhoun due up.
Angels 7, Indians 2 Top 8, 1 OutAug 10 10:10 PM
- Chris Nelson single to center scored Erick Aybar with none out. Runner on first and Chris Iannetta due up.
Angels 6, Indians 2 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 10 10:02 PM
- Erick Aybar grounded into a fielder's choice scored Josh Hamilton. On the play, Mark Trumbo scored on Jason Kipnis's throwing error, Erick Aybar advances to second on the throw. Runner on second with none out and Chris Nelson due up.
Angels 5, Indians 2 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 10 10:01 PM
- Michael Bourn single to center scored Yan Gomes with one out. On the play, Drew Stubbs advances to third. Runners on first and third and Nick Swisher due up.
Angels 3, Indians 2 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 10 9:05 PM
- Kole Calhoun sacrifice fly to left scored Grant Green with two out. None on and Mike Trout due up.
Angels 3, Indians 1 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 10 8:38 PM
- J.B. Shuck sacrifice fly to right scored Chris Iannetta with one out. On the play, Grant Green advances to third. Runner on third and Kole Calhoun due up.
Angels 2, Indians 1 Top 5, 1 OutAug 10 8:38 PM
- Mike Trout grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second scored Chris Iannetta with two out. On the play, Kole Calhoun out at second, J.B. Shuck advances to third. Runners on first and third with two out and Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 1, Indians 1 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 10 8:06 PM
- Drew Stubbs single to third scored Yan Gomes with one out. On the play, Mike Aviles advances to second. Runners on first and second and Michael Bourn due up.
Angels 0, Indians 1 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 10 7:45 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 10 7:06 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21