Gennett, Brewers pound MarinersAug 11, 2013 - 5:44 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Scooter Gennett's three-run blast capped a big seventh inning as the Milwaukee Brewers took a 10-0 win over the Seattle Mariners in the second of a three-game series.
Jonathan Lucroy went 4-for-5 with an RBI and a run scored, while Khris Davis drove in a pair of runs for the Brewers, who have won four of their last five. Tom Gorzelanny (3-4) pitched seven innings and gave up three hits and two walks while striking out seven to pick up the win.
"I felt pretty good out there," Gorzelanny said. "I felt like everything was working pretty well and I was able to locate, which is obviously always key."
Before the game, the Mariners inducted Ken Griffey Jr. into the team's Hall of Fame. The first overall selection in the 1987 draft by Seattle, Griffey spent 11 seasons with the club and holds the team record for home runs (417), as well as single-season marks in homers (56, twice), RBI (147) and extra-base hits (93). He has been a special consultant to the franchise since 2011.
Dustin Ackley had two of the four hits for the Mariners, who have lost four of their last five. Hisashi Iwakuma (10-6) gave up six runs on nine hits over 6 2/3 innings to suffer his second straight loss.
This game stayed scoreless until the seventh inning when the Brewers surged ahead with a six-run frame.
Carlos Gomez led off with a bunt single and Caleb Gindl followed with a single to put runners at the corners. Davis then hit into a fielder's choice to plate the first run and Juan Francisco followed with an RBI double. After Yuniesky Betancourt hit a run-scoring single, Gennett followed with a blast over the right-field wall for a 6-0 lead.
"Things just kind of snowballed out of control there," said Seattle manager Robby Thompson. "You know, things like that will happen in baseball and it just didn't work out for us tonight."
Milwaukee put the game away in the ninth as Lucroy hit an RBI single, Gomez followed with an RBI double, Gindl drove in Gomez with a single, and Davis hit a sacrifice fly off Carter Capps for a 10-0 lead.
Seattle had just one runner reach third base, in the seventh inning, and the team went down in order in the ninth to end the game.
Griffey joined Alvin Davis (1997), Dave Niehaus (2000), Jay Buhner (2004), Edgar Martinez (2007), Randy Johnson (2012) and Dan Wilson (2012) in the Mariners' Hall of Fame ... Seattle first baseman Justin Smoak went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts and had a nine-game hitting streak stopped ... The Brewers are 43-0 when leading after eight innings and are the only team in the Major Leagues this season without a loss when leading after eight innings ... Milwaukee will go for the sweep on Sunday with Wily Peralta on the mound, while Felix Hernandez will toe the rubber for Seattle.
- MILWAUKEE: 10
Aug 11 12:25 AM
- Khris Davis sacrifice fly to center scored Carlos Gomez. Runner on first with two outs and Juan Francisco due up.
Brewers 10, Mariners 0 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 11 12:17 AM
- Caleb Gindl singled to right scored Jonathan Lucroy. On the play, Carlos Gomez advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Khris Davis due up.
Brewers 9, Mariners 0 Top 9, 1 OutAug 11 12:12 AM
- Carlos Gomez doubled to right center scored Norichika Aoki. On the play, Jonathan Lucroy advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Caleb Gindl due up.
Brewers 8, Mariners 0 Top 9, 1 OutAug 11 12:11 AM
- Jonathan Lucroy singled to right scored Scooter Gennett. On the play, Norichika Aoki advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Carlos Gomez due up.
Brewers 7, Mariners 0 Top 9, 1 OutAug 11 12:10 AM
- Scooter Gennett none-out, three-run Home Run (2) to right scored Juan Francisco and Yuniesky Betancourt. Norichika Aoki due up.
Brewers 6, Mariners 0 Top 7, 0 OutsAug 10 11:16 PM
- Yuniesky Betancourt singled to left scored Khris Davis. On the play, Juan Francisco advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Scooter Gennett due up.
Brewers 3, Mariners 0 Top 7, 0 OutsAug 10 11:14 PM
- Juan Francisco doubled to center scored Caleb Gindl. On the play, Khris Davis advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Brewers 2, Mariners 0 Top 7, 0 OutsAug 10 11:12 PM
- Khris Davis reached base on a fielder's choice to third scored Carlos Gomez. On the play, Caleb Gindl advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Juan Francisco due up.
Brewers 1, Mariners 0 Top 7, 0 OutsAug 10 11:08 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 10 9:38 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21