Indians rally past Angels, end losing skidAug 11, 2013 - 11:48 PM Cleveland, OH (Sports Network) - Michael Bourn hit the go-ahead single in the bottom of the seventh inning as the Cleveland Indians snapped a six-game losing streak with a 6-5 victory over the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in the finale of a three-game set.
The Indians were down 5-4 entering the inning, but Carlos Santana led off by hammering a home run off J.C. Gutierrez (0-3) to tie the game.
Lonnie Chisenhall later drew a one-out walk and Drew Stubbs singled up the middle before Gutierrez was replaced by Nick Maronde. Bourn's base hit to left scored Chisenhall and gave the Indians the lead for good.
"I can't really explain it to you," said Bourn. "We just never gave up within the game. We were able to get something started in the sixth inning ... and right there, I think we knew we were back in the game. Carlos came up and tied it back up again and then I was able to get a hit to give us the lead."
Matt Albers (3-1) pitched 1 2/3 perfect innings of relief to pick up the win and Chris Perez threw a 1-2-3 ninth to notch his 18th save. Justin Masterson got the start for Cleveland but struggled, surrendering five runs -- four earned -- on seven hits and four walks in 4 1/3 innings.
Angels starter Jerome Williams allowed four runs and struck out seven over 5 2/3 innings. The 31-year-old right-hander has not won since June 12 against the Orioles. Since that game, he has lost six of 10 starts and his ERA has ballooned from 3.15 to 4.85.
Mike Trout drove in two runs for the Angels, while Grant Green had a pair of hits and scored twice in the setback.
"We scored five but we had opportunities, RBI situations we didn't pick up," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "And that obviously, comes back to haunt you."
Williams had a one-hit shutout through the first five innings while pitching to a 5-0 lead, but met trouble in the sixth. After striking out Chisenhall and Stubbs, he gave up a single to Bourn before Nick Swisher homered to left center.
Following Jason Kipnis' walk, Mike Aviles, who replaced Asdrubal Cabrera after he was ejected for arguing balls and strikes with the home plate umpire in the second, smashed an 0-1 pitch to left to bring the Indians within one.
The Angels scored two runs in each of the first two innings.
In the first, Kole Calhoun and Trout were walked with one out. Josh Hamilton knocked an RBI single to left center and Mark Trumbo's grounder to second scored Trout.
Trout delivered a two-RBI single to center in the second to give them a 4-0 lead.
Los Angeles tacked on another run in the fourth. Green hit an infield single and reached second after Aviles' throw to first was off the mark. Two batters later, Calhoun scored him with a single to left.
The Indians are 293-317 against the Angels all-time but are 44-39 at Progressive Field ... Masterson entered the game 3-0 with a 2.10 ERA in 10 career appearances (seven starts) against the Angels ... The Angels have not swept a series against the Indians since Sept. 3-5, 2004 ... Trout has six RBI over his last seven games and has scored nine times in eight games. He has also reached base safely (via a hit, walk or hit-by-pitch) in each of his last 33 games. Over eight seasons, only two Angels players have had a longer streak. Erick Aybar had a 36-game streak in 2011 and Chone Figgins had a 35- game streak in 2007 ... Aybar and Chris Nelson executed a double steal with one out in the fifth.
- LOS ANGELES: 5
Aug 11 4:22 PM
- Michael Bourn single to left scored Lonnie Chisenhall with one out. On the play, Drew Stubbs advances to second. Runners on first and second and Nick Swisher due up.
Angels 5, Indians 6 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 11 3:46 PM
- Carlos Santana lead-off Home Run (13) to right. Jason Giambi due up.
Angels 5, Indians 5 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 11 3:32 PM
- Mike Aviles two-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left scored Jason Kipnis. Michael Brantley due up.
Angels 5, Indians 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 11 3:18 PM
- Nick Swisher two-out, two-run Home Run (12) to left scored Michael Bourn. Jason Kipnis due up.
Angels 5, Indians 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 11 3:13 PM
- Kole Calhoun singled to left scored Grant Green with one out. Runner on first and Mike Trout due up.
Angels 5, Indians 0 Top 4, 1 OutAug 11 2:12 PM
- Mike Trout single to center scored Grant Green and J.B. Shuck with two out. On the play, Kole Calhoun advances to third. Runners on first and third and Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 4, Indians 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 11 1:45 PM
- Mark Trumbo grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scoring Mike Trout with two out. Josh Hamilton out at second. Runner on first and Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 2, Indians 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 11 1:17 PM
- Josh Hamilton single to center scored Kole Calhoun with one out. On the play, Mike Trout advances to third. Runners on first and third and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 1, Indians 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 11 1:15 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 11 1:07 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21