Yankees' offense erupts, clobbers HalosAug 14, 2013 - 6:06 AM Bronx, NY (Sports Network) - Alfonso Soriano keyed a New York offensive uprising Tuesday night with a career-high six RBI, and CC Sabathia picked up his first win since July 3 as the Yankees erupted late to beat the LA Angels of Anaheim, 14-7.
Soriano put the Yankees ahead with a two-run homer in the fifth, contributed a run-scoring single in the sixth and belted a three-run homer in the seventh.
"We played well tonight, the offense, everbody contributed," said Soriano. "It was a very good game for the offense and hopefully we continue to play like we did tonight."
Eduardo Nunez knocked in four runs for New York, which has taken the first two tilts of this four-game set and four of its last five overall.
Sabathia (10-10), who was 0-4 with a 7.00 ERA over his last six outings, surrendered just three hits and two earned runs over six-plus innings, but the left-hander matched a career high with six walks.
Jason Vargas (6-5) returned from the disabled list to make his first start in almost two months for the Angels. The southpaw allowed four runs and eight hits over 4 1/3 innings. Vargas had been sidelined with a blood clot in his left armpit that required surgery.
Vargas fanned Soriano during his first two at-bats, but, in the fifth, Soriano followed a one-out single by Nunez with a drive to left field for a 4-3 New York lead.
The Angels bullpen then turned the game into a rout, surrendering four runs in both the sixth and seventh innings. But before New York blew the game open, the Angels had the tying run wiped out on a questionable call.
Sabathia's control was erratic in the top of the sixth as he walked the bases loaded. Chris Nelson then got called out for leaving third base early on a sacrifice fly. However, replays showed him waiting just long enough before tagging.
"It's just one of those things, felt like we had a little bit of momentum going and after that play, it kind of switched around and went the other way," said Nelson.
Alex Rodriguez doubled home a pair to punctuate the Yankees' sixth, and Soriano's second blast made it 12-3. Nunez added a two-run single in the eighth.
Mike Trout launched a three-run homer during LA's four-run ninth.
The teams went back-and-forth through the first four innings, with the Angels scoring in the odd-numbered frames and the Yankees posting a run in the even- numbered ones.
Sabathia struck out the game's first two batters before Mark Trumbo followed a walk to Trout with a home run to left field.
Vernon Wells led off the second with his first homer since May 15, but the Angels got the run back in the third with the help of two errors. Wells scored on a Jayson Nix groundout in the fourth to trim the deficit to 3-2.
Sabathia's six-game winless streak tied a career high. He also went six straight starts without a win from July 3-Aug. 1, 2002 and March 31-April 27, 2003 ... Sabathia had seven strikeouts, none after the third ... The Yankees won a game by at least four runs for the first time since July 11 ... New York totaled a season-high 19 hits ... The Angels optioned starting pitcher Tommy Hanson to Triple-A Salt Lake to open a roster spot for Vargas ... Angels shortstop Erick Aybar exited in the third inning with left calf cramping. He is considered day-to-day ... There was a 26-minute rain delay in the top of the eighth.
- LOS ANGELES: 7
NEW YORK: 14
Aug 13 11:08 PM
- Mike Trout one-out, three-run Home Run (21) to right scored J.B. Shuck and Kole Calhoun. Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 7, Yankees 14 Top 9, 1 OutAug 13 10:57 PM
- J.B. Shuck single to right scored Tommy Field with one out. Runner on first with one out and Kole Calhoun due up.
Angels 4, Yankees 14 Top 9, 1 OutAug 13 10:55 PM
- Eduardo Nunez single to center scored Curtis Granderson and Lyle Overbay with two out. On the play, Austin Romine advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Angels 3, Yankees 14 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 13 10:48 PM
- Alfonso Soriano two-out, three-run Home Run 2 (5) to right scored Lyle Overbay and Eduardo Nunez. Robinson Cano due up.
Angels 3, Yankees 12 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 13 9:58 PM
- Eduardo Nunez fielder's choice to short scored Curtis Granderson with two out. Austin Romine out at second, Lyle Overbay advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Angels 3, Yankees 9 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 13 9:56 PM
- Alex Rodriguez double to left scored Alfonso Soriano and Robinson Cano with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Brett Gardner due up.
Angels 3, Yankees 8 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 13 9:33 PM
- Alfonso Soriano single to right scored Lyle Overbay with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Robinson Cano due up.
Angels 3, Yankees 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 13 9:29 PM
- Eduardo Nunez groundout to second scored Jayson Nix with two out. On the play, Lyle Overbay advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Angels 3, Yankees 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 13 9:26 PM
- Alfonso Soriano one-out, two-run Home Run (4) to left scored Eduardo Nunez. Robinson Cano due up.
Angels 3, Yankees 4 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 13 8:40 PM
- Jayson Nix groundout to short scored Vernon Wells with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Lyle Overbay due up.
Angels 3, Yankees 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 13 8:26 PM
- Chris Nelson walk scored J.B. Shuck with one out. Bases loaded with one out and Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 3, Yankees 1 Top 3, 1 OutAug 13 8:02 PM
- Vernon Wells lead-off Home Run (11) to right. Curtis Granderson due up.
Angels 2, Yankees 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 13 7:40 PM
- Mark Trumbo two-out, two-run Home Run (26) to left scored Mike Trout. Chris Nelson due up.
Angels 2, Yankees 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 13 7:16 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 13 7:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21