Homers help Brewers slow streaking RangersAug 14, 2013 - 5:58 AM Arlington, TX (Sports Network) - Scooter Gennett hit a pair of home runs and drove in three, as the Milwaukee Brewers cooled off the red-hot Texas Rangers, 5-1, in the opener of a two-game interleague series at the Ballpark in Arlington.
Khris Davis also homered for the Brewers, who have won three of four. Jean Segura ended 2-for-4 with a run scored for Milwaukee, which improved to 5-3 on its nine-game road trip.
Milwaukee starting pitcher Marco Estrada (5-4) earned his first win since May 24, allowing just one run on four hits, striking out two without a walk in six innings.
Mitch Moreland had two hits, including a homer, for the Rangers, who had an eight-game win streak halted and lost for only the second time in 15 games.
Gennett started the scoring in the third with his first homer of the game, a solo shot to lead off the frame, but Texas tied the game in the home half of the frame when Moreland homered.
Gennett later gave the Brewers the lead, 3-1, with a one-out, two-run homer in the fifth.
"He's got power, he's a good hitter," said Milwaukee manager Ron Roenicke. "He certainly has enough when he squares up and he's going to hit some homers."
Davis then forced Texas starter Alexi Ogando from the game with a solo homer in the seventh.
Ogando (5-4) was charged with four runs on six hits, walking two and striking out three, in 6 1/3 innings. The right-hander was looking to win consecutive starts for the first time since opening the season with back-to-back wins.
Milwaukee added another run in the eighth when Segura scored after a blown run-down play by the Rangers following a botched suicide squeeze attempt.
Texas left the bases loaded in the eighth, with Ian Kinsler lining out to third to end the inning.
"We got the tying run to the plate, had the right people up, they just got the outs that they needed," said Texas manager Ron Washington. "We'll bounce back tomorrow.
Milwaukee closer Jim Henderson recorded the final four outs for his 17th save of the season.
The game was delayed 42 minutes at the start due to inclement weather ... Prior to the game the Rangers, honored Ron Washington for becoming the all- time winningest manager in club history in an on-field ceremony. Washington recorded career win 582 on Sunday at Oakland ... Texas' Leonys Martin has a seven-game hitting streak after going 2-for-4 ... Gennett has four HRs this season ... This was his first multi-HR game ... Moreland has 17 HRs this season ... Texas holds a 23-22 all-time advantage in this interleague series ... The Brewers activated 3B Aramis Ramirez off the 15-day DL prior to the game. Ramirez, who was sidelined with a left knee injury, went 0-for-3 before leaving the game in the bottom of the sixth ... Davis' HR was his fourth ... Segura stole his 34th and 35th bases of the season ... This was the opener of an eight-game homestand for the Rangers, who had a five-game win streak at home halted.
- MILWAUKEE: 5
Aug 13 11:40 PM
- Jean Segura stole home. On the play, Jonathan Lucroy advances to second on the throw. Runner on second with one out and Jeff Bianchi at the plate.
Brewers 5, Rangers 1 Top 8, 1 OutAug 13 11:02 PM
- Khris Davis one-out, solo Home Run (4) to left. Logan Schafer due up.
Brewers 4, Rangers 1 Top 7, 1 OutAug 13 10:25 PM
- Scooter Gennett one-out, two-run Home Run 2 (4) to right scored Logan Schafer. Norichika Aoki due up.
Brewers 3, Rangers 1 Top 5, 1 OutAug 13 10:00 PM
- Mitch Moreland lead-off Home Run (17) to right. Jurickson Profar due up.
Brewers 1, Rangers 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 13 9:31 PM
- Scooter Gennett lead-off Home Run (3) to right. Norichika Aoki due up.
Brewers 1, Rangers 0 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 13 9:22 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 13 8:48 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22