Indians turn tables on TwinsAug 14, 2013 - 6:31 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Ryan Raburn clubbed a two-run homer and Zach McAllister tossed six effective innings to win for the first time since late May, as Cleveland claimed a 5-2 win over Minnesota in the second edition of a three-game set.
Michael Bourn, Michael Brantley and Jason Kipnis knocked in the other runs for the Indians, who won for just the second time in their last nine and avenged a 3-0 loss in Monday's opener.
McAllister (5-7) yielded just four hits and two runs -- one earned -- while fanning seven. The 25-year-old righty hadn't seen a positive decision since a 12-3 win at Boston on May 23.
Cody Allen and Joe Smith retired six batters in a row, and Chris Perez tossed a scoreless ninth to earn his 19th save.
Josh Willingham homered for the Twins, who lost for the second time in their last six.
Samuel Deduno (7-6) also lasted six innings, but was touched in defeat for five runs -- four earned -- on five hits.
"(Samuel) gave up the runs and we didn't do anything offensively," said Twins manager Ron Gardenhire.
It was 3-1 for the Indians in the fifth. Yan Gomes hit a leadoff double, was sacrificed to third by Bourn and scored on a Kipnis grounder to first.
Carlos Santana was plunked with one down in the sixth and Raburn turned on a Deduno offering for a two-run shot and four-run Cleveland edge.
Minnesota's last gasp came in the bottom of the frame, as Joe Mauer singled with one out, then scored on a Justin Morneau single compounded by Bourn's feilding error.
McAllister rebounded to get the next two batters and keep it 5-2, before Tribe relievers set down the next eight until Oswaldo Arcia's two-out double in the ninth. Perez then induced a game-ending pop out to Trevor Plouffe.
Willingham's second-inning solo shot staked the Twins to an early lead, but Cleveland picked up single runs in the third and fourth to move ahead.
In the former, Bourn's fielder's choice grounder with the bases loaded put the Tribe on the board, and the visitors took the lead in the latter thanks to Brantley's single to knock in Kipnis.
McAllister had gone 0-4 with two no decisions since his last victory ... Prior to the contest, the Tribe announced the signing of free agent first baseman David Cooper to a minor league contract, while the Twins acquired pitcher Miguel Sulbaran from the Los Angeles Dodgers to complete the July 31 trade for catcher Drew Butera.
- CLEVELAND: 5
Aug 13 10:43 PM
- Justin Morneau single to center. On the play, Joe Mauer scored on Michael Bourn's fielding error with one out. Justin Morneau to third on the throw. Runner on third and Josh Willingham due up.
Indians 5, Twins 2 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 13 9:53 PM
- Ryan Raburn one-out, two-run Home Run (14) to left scored Carlos Santana. Lonnie Chisenhall due up.
Indians 5, Twins 1 Top 6, 1 OutAug 13 9:39 PM
- Jason Kipnis grounded out to first scoring Yan Gomes with two out. On the play, Nick Swisher advances to second. Runner on second and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 3, Twins 1 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 13 9:27 PM
- Michael Brantley single to center scored Jason Kipnis with one out. Runner on first and Carlos Santana due up.
Indians 2, Twins 1 Top 4, 1 OutAug 13 9:03 PM
- Michael Bourn grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scoring Ryan Raburn with one out. Yan Gomes out at second. Lonnie Chisenhall advances to third. Runners on first and third and Nick Swisher due up.
Indians 1, Twins 1 Top 3, 1 OutAug 13 8:45 PM
- Josh Willingham lead-off Home Run (12) to left. Oswaldo Arcia due up.
Indians 0, Twins 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 13 8:32 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 13 8:11 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21