Brantley lifts Indians over Twins in extrasAug 15, 2013 - 12:40 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Michael Brantley's sacrifice fly in the 12th inning lifted the Cleveland Indians to a 9-8 win over the Minnesota Twins in the rubber match of a three-game series.
The Indians rallied for four runs in the eighth to tie the game. With two on and no outs, Brantley singled to score Jason Kipnis. Jason Giambi followed with a three-run homer to right to tie the game.
Carlos Santana then slugged a leadoff homer in the 10th, but Joe Mauer hammered a solo shot in the home half to tie the contest.
With runners on the corners and one out in the 12th, Brantley smoked a a line drive to deep center field. Clete Thomas fielded the ball cleanly and fired it to the plate, but the throw was off target and Nick Swisher scored easily.
Brantley finished with two hits and three RBI while Mike Aviles had two hits and two RBI.
"Keep winning series. I think the biggest thing is win game by game and hopefully the series will pile up," Aviles said.
Chris Perez (5-2) earned the win despite giving up Mauer's homer and Joe Smith spun a perfect 12th to pick up his second save.
Mauer was 5-for-7 with four RBI and Chris Collabello had two hits and an RBI for the Twins, who went 6-for-13 with runners in scoring position, but stranded 12 runners on base.
"He came up with big at-bats all day long. Unfortunately we just didn't pitch well at the end to hold them," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said of Mauer.
Ryan Pressly (3-3) was pegged with the loss after giving up the game-winning run.
The Twins plated a pair of runs in both the first and second innings to jump out to an early lead.
In the first, Mauer singled and Justin Morneau doubled to put runners and second and third with one out. Josh Willingham followed with a sacrifice fly to right to score Mauer. Oswaldo Arcia then doubled to center to bring Morneau around.
In the second, Thomas doubled and Pedro Florimon singled to put runners in scoring position for Brian Dozier, who ripped a single through the hole on the left side. Third baseman Lonnie Chisenhall made a diving attempt for the ball, but it skipped off his glove allowing Thomas to score. Mauer followed with a single to bring Florimon around.
The Indians pulled within 4-2 in the fourth inning. With two on and two out, Aviles singled to left to score Carlos Santana and Giambi.
Brantley's RBI single in the sixth made it 4-3, but the Twins added a pair of runs in the home half to go up 6-3. With the bases loaded and one out, Mauer ripped a single a up the middle to score Thomas and Florimon.
Collabello singled home Josh Willingham in the seventh to give the Twins a 7-3 edge.
The Indians' bullpen has blown 21 saves this season ... Cleveland starter Carlos Carrasco lasted just 4 1/3 innings, giving up four runs on 10 hits while striking out four ... The Indians are 26-16 in day games this season ... Mauer has five career five-hit games ... Mauer has three games this season with at least four hits.
- CLEVELAND: 9
Aug 14 5:31 PM
- Michael Brantley sacrifice fly out to center scored Nick Swisher. Runner on first with two outs and Yan Gomes due up.
Indians 9, Twins 8 Top 12, 2 OutsAug 14 5:21 PM
- Joe Mauer one-out, solo Home Run (10) to left. Justin Morneau due up.
Indians 8, Twins 8 Bot 10, 1 OutAug 14 4:54 PM
- Carlos Santana lead-off Home Run (14) to left center. Michael Brantley due up.
Indians 8, Twins 7 Top 10, 0 OutsAug 14 4:44 PM
- Jason Giambi none-out, three-run Home Run (8) to right scored Carlos Santana and Michael Brantley. Mike Aviles due up.
Indians 7, Twins 7 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 14 4:02 PM
- Michael Brantley singled to right scored Jason Kipnis. On the play, Carlos Santana advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Jason Giambi due up.
Indians 4, Twins 7 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 14 4:00 PM
- Chris Colabello singled to center scored Josh Willingham. On the play, Trevor Plouffe advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Clete Thomas due up.
Indians 3, Twins 7 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 14 3:42 PM
- Joe Mauer singled to center scored Clete Thomas and Pedro Florimon. On the play, Brian Dozier advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Justin Morneau due up.
Indians 3, Twins 6 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 14 3:19 PM
- Michael Brantley singled to center scored Jason Kipnis. Runner on first with one out and Jason Giambi due up.
Indians 3, Twins 4 Top 6, 1 OutAug 14 2:53 PM
- Mike Aviles singled to left scored Carlos Santana and Jason Giambi. Runner on first with two outs and Lonnie Chisenhall due up.
Indians 2, Twins 4 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 14 2:14 PM
- Joe Mauer singled to center scored Pedro Florimon. Runner on first with two outs and Justin Morneau due up.
Indians 0, Twins 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 14 1:50 PM
- Brian Dozier infield single to short scored Clete Thomas. On the play, Pedro Florimon advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Joe Mauer due up.
Indians 0, Twins 3 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 14 1:47 PM
- Oswaldo Arcia doubled to center scored Justin Morneau. Runner on second with two outs and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Indians 0, Twins 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 14 1:29 PM
- Josh Willingham sacrifice fly out to right scored Joe Mauer. On the play, Justin Morneau advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Oswaldo Arcia due up.
Indians 0, Twins 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 14 1:29 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 14 1:11 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21