Jays top Red Sox on Lawrie's single in 10thAug 15, 2013 - 6:16 AM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Brett Lawrie singled in the winning run in the 10th inning to boost the Toronto Blue Jays to a 4-3 win over the Boston Red Sox.
Boston's Mike Napoli tied the game with a two-run homer with two outs in the top of the ninth inning, but the Red Sox were not able to capitalize with the bases full later in the frame.
The Red Sox wasted a chance with two men on base in the 10th, and in the bottom half Rajai Davis doubled to center and went to third on a groundout. Following an intentional walk to Edwin Encarnacion, Lawrie hit a hot smash that caromed off the glove of shortstop Stephen Drew and into the outfield.
Davis had three hits and two runs scored for the Blue Jays, who snapped a three-game skid. Encarnacion had a pair of doubles and scored twice.
"He gets on and you can't stop him, really," Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said of Davis. "He's a special guy. He can do a little bit everything."
David Ortiz homered for the AL East-leading Red Sox, who lost for the fourth time in six games.
Esmil Rogers, pitching on his 28th birthday, threw six strong innings for the Blue Jays, while Jon Lester lasted one out into the seventh for the Red Sox.
Brad Lincoln (1-1) pitched 1 1/3 innings for the win, while Brandon Workman (3-2) suffered the loss after working the final three frames.
Napoli's hit off Brett Cecil over the wall in right field in the ninth inning scored Jonny Gomes, who had walked.
"He's streaking, we know it we have to ride it and he came up big in the moment," Red Sox manager John Farrell said of Napoli.
Lincoln retired Shane Victorino on a fly ball to left field to end the top of the ninth with the bases full.
The Red Sox put a runner on second in each of the first two innings but came up empty, and the Blue Jays took advantage of some shoddy fielding to push ahead in the third.
Davis hit a ball that caromed off Lester's shin. The pitcher's underhand flip to first was wide of the bag and Victorino picked up the ball from right field. His throw to third deflected off a sliding Davis and away from third baseman Will Middlebrooks, allowing Davis to come home.
Encarnacion doubled in the fourth and scored on Mark DeRosa's looping double over the head of first baseman Napoli for a 2-0 lead.
Ortiz homered to right in the sixth, but the Blue Jays moved to a 3-1 edge in the bottom half when J.P. Arencibia's double scored Encarnacion.
The Blue Jays placed outfielder Colby Rasmus on the 15-day disabled list, selected the contract of outfielder Kevin Pillar from Buffalo and recalled shortstop Munenori Kawasaki from the Triple-A club ... Boston fell to 9-6 against the Jays this season ... The three-game set concludes Thursday night with Boston's Jake Peavy (9-4, 4.50) and Toronto's Mark Buehrle (8-7, 4.43) pitching.
- BOSTON: 3
Aug 14 10:33 PM
- Brett Lawrie infield single to short scored Rajai Davis with one out to win the game.
Red Sox 3, Blue Jays 4 Bot 10, 1 OutAug 14 10:30 PM
- Mike Napoli two-out, two-run Home Run (15) to right scored Jonny Gomes. Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Red Sox 3, Blue Jays 3 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 14 9:49 PM
- J.P. Arencibia double to left scored Edwin Encarnacion. Runner on second with two outs and Kevin Pillar due up.
Red Sox 1, Blue Jays 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 14 9:04 PM
- David Ortiz one-out, solo Home Run (23) to right. Jonny Gomes due up.
Red Sox 1, Blue Jays 2 Top 6, 1 OutAug 14 8:50 PM
- Mark DeRosa double to right scored Edwin Encarnacion. Runner on second with one out and J.P. Arencibia due up.
Red Sox 0, Blue Jays 2 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 14 8:22 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Bot 3, 2 Outs
Red Sox 0, Blue Jays 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 14 8:06 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 14 7:08 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21