Machado and Roberts key seven-run rally as O's top RockiesAug 18, 2013 - 4:36 AM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - Manny Machado and Brian Roberts each hit two- run doubles during a seven-run third inning as the Baltimore Orioles beat the Colorado Rockies, 8-4, in the middle portion of a three-game series.
Chris Davis, Adam Jones and Nick Markakis added an RBI apiece for the Orioles, who snapped a four-game skid.
Baltimore starter Bud Norris (9-10) allowed four runs on nine hits while striking out five over 5 2/3 innings.
"Just to get back in the win column was huge," Norris said. "To have a seven- run third inning it definitely helps any starting pitcher go out there so I just wanted to keep putting up zeros."
Dexter Fowler had two RBI and a run scored for the Rockies, who had a brief two-game winning streak snapped. Charlie Blackmon drove in a run and scored once.
Chad Bettis (0-2) got the start for Colorado and gave up eight runs -- two earned -- on seven hits over 2 2/3 innings.
"It was really embarrassing," Bettis said of his start. "I have a lot to learn from this start and that's all I have to take from it."
Each team scored once in the first inning. Fowler led off the game with a walk, advanced to third on Corey Dickerson's single and scored when Troy Tulowitzki grounded into a double play.
In the bottom half of the frame, Nate McLouth walked, moved to third on Machado's single and crossed the plate on Davis' sacrifice fly.
Baltimore, which left the bases loaded in the second, exploded for seven runs in the third. Davis doubled to left-center field and moved to third on a passed ball. After Jones reached base on an infield single, Markakis hit a run-scoring bloop single down the left-field line that Dickerson almost caught. The runners moved up to second and third on Matt Wieters' groundout.
The second run of the inning crossed the plate when Steve Pearce reached first on Tulowitzki's fielding error. Two batters later, Roberts hit a two-run double off the wall in right. After McLouth walked, Machado hit a two-run double to right. Adam Ottavino came in from the bullpen and gave up an RBI single to Jones.
The Rockies got one run back in the fourth. With two outs, Blackmon was hit by a pitch and Jonathan Herrera walked. Fowler followed with an RBI single to right-center field.
Colorado tacked on two more runs in the sixth. Nolan Arenado hit a one-out triple to center and scored on Blackmon's groundout. Herrera singled and raced home on Fowler's single to right-center field, cutting the gap to 8-4.
Baltimore and Colorado are meeting for the first time since the Rockies took two of three matchups back in 2007 ... The Rockies went 2-for-12 with runners in scoring position and stranded 11, while the Orioles went 5-for-14 with RISP and left 12 men on ... Colorado activated pitcher Rafael Betancourt from the 15-day disabled list and optioned pitcher Manuel Corpas to Triple-A Colorado Springs ... Baltimore optioned outfielder Henry Urrutia to Triple-A Norfolk and recalled pitcher Josh Stinson, who tossed 1 1/3 scoreless innings of relief.
- COLORADO: 4
Aug 17 10:31 PM
- Dexter Fowler single to center scored Jonathan Herrera with two outs. On the play, Dexter Fowler advances to second on the throw home. Runner on second and Corey Dickerson due up.
Rockies 4, Orioles 8 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 17 9:20 PM
- Charlie Blackmon grounded out short to first to score Nolan Arenado with two outs. None on and Jonathan Herrera due up.
Rockies 3, Orioles 8 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 17 9:15 PM
- Dexter Fowler single to right center scored Charlie Blackmon with two outs. On the play, Jonathan Herrera advances to third. Runners on first and third and Corey Dickerson due up.
Rockies 2, Orioles 8 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 17 8:37 PM
- Adam Jones single to center scored Manny Machado with two outs. On the play, Chris Davis advances to second. Runners on first and second and Nick Markakis due up.
Rockies 1, Orioles 8 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 17 8:24 PM
- Manny Machado double to right scored Brian Roberts and Nate McLouth with two outs. Runner on second and Chris Davis due up.
Rockies 1, Orioles 7 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 17 8:18 PM
- Brian Roberts double to right scored Nick Markakis and Steve Pearce with two outs. Runner on second and Nate McLouth due up.
Rockies 1, Orioles 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 17 8:13 PM
- Steve Pearce reached first on Troy Tulowitzki's fielding error to score Adam Jones with one out. On the play, Nick Markakis advances to third. Runners on first and third and Ryan Flaherty due up.
Rockies 1, Orioles 3 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 17 8:12 PM
- Nick Markakis single to left scored Chris Davis with none out. On the play, Adam Jones advances to second. Runners on first and second and Matt Wieters due up.
Rockies 1, Orioles 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 17 8:08 PM
- Chris Davis sacrifice fly to left scored Nate McLouth with one out. Runner on first and Adam Jones due up.
Rockies 1, Orioles 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 17 7:26 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki grounded into a double play, short to second to first, to score Dexter Fowler with two outs. On the play, Corey Dickerson out at second. None on and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Rockies 1, Orioles 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 17 7:13 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 17 7:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21