Indians pound A'sAug 18, 2013 - 6:01 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Asdrubal Cabrera, Nick Swisher and Jason Kipnis each registered two RBI, as the Cleveland Indians edged the Oakland Athletics, 7-1, Saturday in the second chapter of a three-game series at O.co Coliseum.
Swisher smacked a solo homer in the first, while Cabrera, who entered the contest mired in an 0-for-20 slump, added a run-scoring single later in the frame before clubbing an RBI double in the sixth.
Michael Bourn chipped in with his fifth homer of the season in the seventh and Kipnis clubbed a two-run single in the ninth to help the Indians win for the third time in their last four games.
Ubaldo Jimenez (9-7) struck out eight and carried a no-hitter into the sixth, but walked five and was lifted after giving up just one hit -- an RBI single from Josh Donaldson with two outs in the sixth.
"You probably think if I wouldn't have had so many walks, that's probably two or three more innings that I would have been able to pitch," Jimenez said. "Just because of the walks and throwing too many pitches and a lot of strikeouts, it's hard."
Donaldson accounted for two of Oakland's three hits and knocked in the team's only run, as the A's lost for the third time in five games to fall 1 1/2 games back of Texas atop the AL West.
"We continue to go back and forth a little bit offensively," A's manager Bob Melvin said. "We have to grind our way through it and get a couple of games in a row and start feeling a little bit better about ourselves."
Dan Straily (6-7) surrendered three runs on six hits and four walks while striking out seven over 5 2/3 innings to absorb the loss.
Swisher's one-out blast over the right-field wall made it 1-0 before back-to- back two-out walks put a runner in scoring position for Cabrera, who stroked a single to right to score Carlos Santana for a 2-0 lead.
Cleveland padded its cushion in the sixth when Michael Brantley and Cabrera clubbed consecutive one-out doubles, with Cabrera plating Brantley to push the margin to 3-0.
Jimenez, meanwhile, stymied the A's until the sixth, when he hit Josh Reddick with one out before walking Yoenis Cespedes.
The right-hander bounced back with a strikeout of Brandon Moss, but Donaldson came through with Oakland's first hit, stroking a line-drive single to center to score Reddick and bring the A's within 3-1.
Rich Hill entered for Jimenez and fanned pinch-hitter Chris Young to end the frame.
Bourn stroked a one-out homer in the seventh before the Indians pushed three more runs across in the ninth to blow the game open.
Drew Stubbs and Bourn kept the frame alive with consecutive two-out hits before Swisher and Kipnis ripped back-to-back singles to make it 7-1.
Cleveland has won five of the six meetings with Oakland this season ... Oakland went 1-for-6 with runners in scoring position and left nine men on base ... Cleveland finished 4-for-11 with RISP and stranded six base runners ... Straily has dropped five straight decisions and hasn't won since July 9.
- CLEVELAND: 7
Aug 18 12:17 AM
- Jason Kipnis single to left scored Michael Bourn and Nick Swisher with two out. Runner on first and Carlos Santana due up.
Indians 7, Athletics 1 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 18 12:08 AM
- Nick Swisher single to right scored Drew Stubbs with two out. On the play, Michael Bourn advances to third. Nick Swisher advances to second on the throw. Runners on second and third and Jason Kipnis due up.
Indians 5, Athletics 1 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 18 12:05 AM
- Michael Bourn one-out, solo Home Run (5) to right. Nick Swisher due up.
Indians 4, Athletics 1 Top 7, 1 OutAug 17 11:19 PM
- NOTE: Josh Donaldson single to center scored Josh Reddick with two out to break-up Ubaldo Jimenez's no-hitter. On the play, Yoenis Cespedes advances to second. Runners on first and second and Seth Smith due up.
Indians 3, Athletics 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 17 11:07 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera double to center scored Michael Brantley with one out. Runner on second and Jason Giambi due up.
Indians 3, Athletics 0 Top 6, 1 OutAug 17 10:48 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera single to right, deflected by first scored Carlos Santana with two out. On the play, Michael Brantley advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jason Giambi due up.
Indians 2, Athletics 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 17 9:18 PM
- Nick Swisher one-out, solo Home Run (13) to right. Jason Kipnis due up.
Indians 1, Athletics 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 17 9:11 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 17 9:08 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21