Lobaton the hero again as Rays clip Jays in 10Aug 19, 2013 - 4:52 AM St. Petersburg, FL (Sports Network) - Jose Lobaton's first career game-ending home run sent Tampa Bay past Toronto, 2-1, in the rubber match of a three-game set.
Lobaton, who tripled in the winning run during Friday's series-opening 5-4 win, took a Brad Lincoln (1-2) offering over the wall in right with one out in the bottom of the 10th to give the hosts the series victory.
"The triple was amazing, but running the bases knowing you've won the game is unbelievable," Lobaton said. "You want to do it all the time. You want to feel that feeling every day. Hopefully this isn't the last one."
Jake McGee (3-3) tossed a scoreless top of the 10th for the win.
Evan Longoria's first-inning home run was the only other offense for the Rays, winners in four of their last five.
Edwin Encarnacion hit a solo homer for the Jays, who were coming off a series win over Boston.
"You've got to win these games," Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said. "We've had so many of these games over the year."
Longoria's first-inning solo shot put the Rays on the board.
Rays starter Chris Archer kept the Jays in check, allowing just one hit through the first six innings, then retired the first two in the seventh before Encarnacion cleared the wall in left for a 1-1 tie.
Adam Lind and Brett Lawrie followed with base hits, but Archer escaped further trouble by inducing a groundout from Mark DeRosa.
In the ninth, Encarnacion's liner to left hit the very top of the wall near the foul pole and bounced back into play for a double, and the Jays failed to capitalize after he moved to third on a wild pitch.
Archer scattered four hits and one run with five strikeouts over seven innings, while Toronto counterpart Todd Redmond worked six-plus frames and allowed one run on six hits ... The Rays improved to 7-5 in games decided by extra innings, while Toronto fell to 7-8.
- TORONTO: 1
TAMPA BAY: 2
Aug 18 4:45 PM
- Jose Lobaton one-out, solo Home Run (5) to right to end the game.
Blue Jays 1, Rays 2 Bot 10, 1 OutAug 18 4:43 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion two-out, solo Home Run (31) to left. Adam Lind due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rays 1 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 18 3:28 PM
- Evan Longoria two-out, solo Home Run (24) to right. Wil Myers due up.
Blue Jays 0, Rays 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 18 1:58 PM
- TORONTO: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 18 1:43 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21