Seager's late hit lifts Mariners over RangersAug 19, 2013 - 5:50 AM Arlington, TX (Sports Network) - Kyle Seager hit a go-ahead double in the top of the ninth to lift the Seattle Mariners to a 4-3 victory over the Texas Rangers in the rubber match of a three-game series.
Tied at 3-3 entering the ninth and with Joe Nathan (3-2) pitching for Texas, Endy Chavez singled to center to start the inning. Humberto Quintero bunted to advance the runner, and Nick Franklin drew a two-out walk.
Seager then ripped an RBI double to right to give his team the lead.
"He's a battler up there and he went down and got the ball," Seattle acting manager Robby Thompson said of Seager. "With him, he knows how to battle with two strikes."
Danny Farquhar pitched a 1-2-3 ninth to notch his seventh save. Yoervis Medina (4-3) gave up one run in the eighth but picked up the win.
Mariners starter Erasmo Ramirez gave up two runs -- one earned -- on three hits and a walk over seven frames. The 23-year-old right-hander remains unbeaten in six starts this season.
Rangers starter Yu Darvish, who was looking for his fourth consecutive win, gave up three runs on seven hits while fanning seven and walking four over 7 1/3 innings.
"I don't know from the first inning if he was as sharp as he's been his last few times," Texas catcher A.J. Pierzynski said of Darvish. "He pitched well enough to win and deserved probably to win but we just didn't score runs."
Both teams combined for just two hits and a walk through the first four innings, but their respective offenses came alive in the fifth.
Michael Saunders and Dustin Ackley hit back-to-back singles to start the inning. Saunders stole third and scored when Chavez grounded out to first.
In the bottom of the inning, Pierzynski knocked a leadoff double to right and scored on Mitch Moreland's sacrifice fly.
An inning later, Franklin walked and advanced to second on a wild pitch. Three batters later, Justin Smoak walked, followed by an RBI double from Saunders.
However, the Rangers responded in the home half. Craig Gentry reached first on a fielding error by Seager. He stole second and reached third after Quintero's pickoff attempt was off the mark. After Elvis Andrus and Ian Kinsler were retired, Adrian Beltre plated Gentry with a base hit to right.
Seattle regained the lead in the eighth when Ackley delivered a two-out RBI single to center, only for Texas to answer once more in the home half. Gentry walked with one out and scored on Andrus' double to left to tie the game at 3-3.
Seager is on a 14-game hitting streak at Rangers Ballpark, second-longest in Mariners history, behind only Jose Lopez (July 25, 2007-Sept. 3, 2008) ... Seattle hit 3-for-16 with runners in scoring position and left 10 runners on base ... Darvish entered the game 2-0 with a 1.51 ERA in five day starts this season, the lowest in MLB ... Beltre is 18-for-39 with 10 RBI over his last 11 games ... Texas still leads the season series 9-7.
- SEATTLE: 4
Aug 18 6:10 PM
- Kyle Seager double to right scored Endy Chavez with two out. On the play, Nick Franklin advances to third. Runners on second and third and Kendrys Morales due up.
Mariners 4, Rangers 3 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 18 6:00 PM
- Elvis Andrus double to left scored Craig Gentry with one out. Runner on second and Ian Kinsler due up.
Mariners 3, Rangers 3 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 18 5:43 PM
- Dustin Ackley single to center scored Kyle Seager with two out. On the play, Kendrys Morales was tagged out between second and third, center to first to short to third to end the inning.
Mariners 3, Rangers 2 Mid 8Aug 18 5:34 PM
- Adrian Beltre single to right scored Craig Gentry with two out. Runner on first and A.J. Pierzynski due up.
Mariners 2, Rangers 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 18 4:58 PM
- Michael Saunders double to right scored Nick Franklin with two out. On the play, Justin Smoak advances to third. Runners on second and third and Dustin Ackley due up.
Mariners 2, Rangers 1 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 18 4:47 PM
- Mitch Moreland sacrifice fly to left scored A.J. Pierzynski with two out. None on with and Jurickson Profar due up.
Mariners 1, Rangers 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 18 4:26 PM
- Endy Chavez ground out to first scored Michael Saunders with one out. On the play, Dustin Ackley advances to second. Runner on second and Humberto Quintero due up.
Mariners 1, Rangers 0 Top 5, 1 OutAug 18 4:12 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 18 3:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21