A's upend Indians in rubber matchAug 19, 2013 - 3:02 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Chris Young homered and had two RBI and Josh Donaldson drove in three runs as the Oakland Athletics upended the Cleveland Indians, 7-3, in the rubber match of a three-game series.
Alberto Callaspo went 3-for-4 with a solo homer, while Dan Otero (2-0) tossed 1 2/3 scoreless innings of relief behind Tommy Milone to earn the win, Oakland's third in four games.
"It was important for us to win this game just as each and every game after this is going to be," Donaldson remarked.
Scott Kazmir (7-6) got some extra rest after a forgettable stint against the Angels on Aug. 9, but the lefty struggled again Sunday, allowing five runs on 10 hits and two walks in five innings of work.
Ryan Raburn hit a solo home run while Jason Kipnis and Carlos Santana each had two hits and an RBI for the Indians, who fell to 3-3 on a nine-game road trip that ends with three games against the Angels.
Young broke a 3-3 tie in the fifth inning with a one-out solo blast over the scoreboard in left field, and Callaspo followed two batters later with a shot just out of Michael Brantley's reach and over the shorter fence in left.
"We busted our butt to be able to tie the game up going into the fifth inning and then it's very crucial to have a sit-down inning to get these guys back up to the plate and it just didn't happen," Kazmir said.
The A's tacked on two insurance runs in the ninth courtesy of Nick Swisher's error at first base. Callaspo scored when Swisher missed Asdrubal Cabrera's routine throw from shortstop, and Donaldson followed with an RBI single.
Jed Lowrie and Derek Norris singled and doubled, respectively, to get Oakland's offense going in the first inning. Lowrie scored on Donaldson's groundout and Norris came around when Young poked a base hit to right field.
Raburn took Milone deep to straightaway center to open the second, but the A's got the run back in the bottom half as Donaldson singled in front of Drew Stubbs in center field to knock in Lowrie.
Callaspo's throwing error led to a pair of runs in the fifth, as Kipnis and Santana each provided run-scoring hits with two outs, signaling the end of Milone's outing.
Milone was starting in place of the injured Bartolo Colon and was charged with three runs -- one earned -- on six hits.
Milone was called up from Triple-A Sacramento after Colon was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a left groin strain ... Kazmir was 4-0 with a 2.65 ERA in six day-game starts this season ... The Indians went 2-for-10 with runners in scoring position and stranded seven baserunners.
- CLEVELAND: 3
Aug 18 7:27 PM
- Josh Donaldson single to center scored Derek Norris with two out. Runner on first and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Indians 3, Athletics 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 18 7:17 PM
- Derek Norris reached second on Nick Swisher's missed catch error scoring Alberto Callaspo with two out. Runner on second and Josh Donaldson due up.
Indians 3, Athletics 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 18 7:17 PM
- Alberto Callaspo two-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Eric Sogard due up.
Indians 3, Athletics 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 18 6:09 PM
- Chris Young one-out, solo Home Run (11) to left. Josh Reddick due up.
Indians 3, Athletics 4 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 18 6:07 PM
- Carlos Santana double to left scored Jason Kipnis with two out. Runner on second and Ryan Raburn due up.
Indians 3, Athletics 3 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 18 5:57 PM
- Jason Kipnis single to left scored Drew Stubbs with two out. Runner on first and Carlos Santana due up.
Indians 2, Athletics 3 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 18 5:56 PM
- Josh Donaldson single to center scored Jed Lowrie with two out. On the play, Derek Norris advances to second. Runners on first and second with Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Indians 1, Athletics 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 18 4:51 PM
- Ryan Raburn one-out, solo Home Run (15) to center. Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 1, Athletics 2 Top 2, 1 OutAug 18 4:33 PM
- Chris Young single to right scored Derek Norris with two out. On the play, Nate Freiman advances to second. Runners on first and second with Josh Reddick due up.
Indians 0, Athletics 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 18 4:25 PM
- Josh Donaldson ground out short to first scored Jed Lowrie with one out. Runner on second and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Indians 0, Athletics 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 18 4:20 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 18 4:08 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21