McAllister, Chisenhall lead Indians over AngelsAug 20, 2013 - 5:48 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Zach McAllister pitched into the seventh inning and Lonnie Chisenhall belted a two-run homer in Cleveland's 5-2 triumph over the Angels to open a three-game series.
Carlos Santana and Jason Giambi had an RBI during a four-run fourth inning, as the Indians won for the fourth time in six games. Nick Swisher led off the ninth with a homer to right off Kevin Jepsen.
McAllister (6-7) gave up five hits and a run while logging five strikeouts over 6 1/3 innings to win back-to-back starts following a six-game winless stretch.
"Getting those runs in the fourth was huge. I was happy with my stuff tonight. The defense made good plays behind me and I was able to make some key pitches to get out of some spots," McAllister said.
Jered Weaver (7-7), who was aiming to break a tie with Mike Witt (109) for the third-most wins in Angels history, surrendered eight hits and four runs in six frames.
"I felt good warming up. Things got away from me a little bit. One blow-up inning and that was the game," Weaver said.
Mark Trumbo knocked in the two runs for the Angels, who lost for the seventh time in nine games. He hit an RBI single in the fourth and smacked a homer to center in the ninth off Chris Perez.
Jason Kipnis walked and stole second to start the fourth before scoring on Santana's single to right field. One out later, Asdrubal Cabrera doubled and Giambi followed with a sacrifice fly to right. Chisenhall then crushed a 1-2 offering over the wall in right for a 4-0 cushion.
Erick Aybar doubled and scored on Trumbo's line single to right in the bottom of the fourth. Trumbo, though, was thrown out at the plate later in the inning by Swisher, trying to score on Chris Nelson's fly ball. Yan Gomes applied the high tag under the left arm.
McAllister was sharp in holding down the Angels through 103 pitches before departing in favor of Bryan Shaw.
Outfielder Mike Trout didn't play for Los Angeles due to tightness in his right hamstring ... Angels slugger Albert Pujols will miss the remainder of the season due to the tear in the plantar fascia in his left foot ... Indians left fielder Michael Brantley set a franchise record for consecutive errorless games by an outfielder, his 213th in a row. That breaks Rocky Colavito's record from Sept. 25, 1959-June 15, 1966. Colavito's run was suspended and later resumed after he played for Detroit (1960-63) and Kansas City (1964) ... The Indians are 19-8 against AL West teams.
- CLEVELAND: 5
LOS ANGELES: 2
Aug 20 1:12 AM
- Mark Trumbo one-out, solo Home Run (29) to center. Hank Conger due up.
Indians 5, Angels 2 Bot 9, 1 OutAug 20 1:08 AM
- Nick Swisher lead-off Home Run (14) to right. Jason Kipnis due up.
Indians 5, Angels 1 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 20 12:58 AM
- Mark Trumbo single to right scored Erick Aybar. Runner on first with one out and Hank Conger due up.
Indians 4, Angels 1 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 19 11:23 PM
- Lonnie Chisenhall two-out, two-run Home Run (7) to right scored Asdrubal Cabrera. Yan Gomes due up.
Indians 4, Angels 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 19 11:09 PM
- Jason Giambi sacrifice fly to right scored Carlos Santana. On the play, Asdrubal Cabrera advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Lonnie Chisenhall due up.
Indians 2, Angels 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 19 11:07 PM
- Carlos Santana single to right scored Jason Kipnis. Runner on first with none out and Michael Brantley due up.
Indians 1, Angels 0 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 19 11:01 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 19 10:09 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21