Cobb, late offense send Rays past OriolesAug 21, 2013 - 5:47 AM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - Alex Cobb pitched into the seventh inning and Matt Joyce knocked in three runs, including a two-run double in the ninth, in Tampa Bay's 7-4 victory over the Baltimore Orioles.
Wil Myers stroked a two-run single in the final inning, while Ben Zobrist went 2-for-5 with an RBI double. Yunel Escobar had three hits and an RBI for the Rays, who won for the sixth time in seven games. They are in a virtual tie for first place in the AL East, three percentage points ahead of the Boston Red Sox.
"We have to keep putting the pressure on them," Rays manager Joe Maddon said. "Our goal is not to be the wild card team by the way. Our goal is to win the division. We're trying to do that."
Cobb (8-2), in his second start since returning from two months on the disabled list because of a concussion, stretched his unbeaten streak to 10 starts. The right-hander is 5-0 in that stretch and hasn't lost since April 30 at Kansas City. Cobb gave up three hits and a pair of runs -- one earned -- over six-plus innings.
Miguel Gonzalez (8-6) surrendered eight hits and three runs -- two earned -- over 5 2/3 innings for the fading Orioles, who lost for the sixth time in eight games.
Matt Wieters belted a two-run homer for the O's, who gave up 15 hits, one night after rapping out the same number of hits in a 4-3 loss.
"You'd be surprised at how quickly this season can slow down and things can turn quickly," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said. "You have to be prepared to take advantage of that."
Ryan Flaherty had an early RBI single for the hosts, who scored only one run in a promising seventh inning in which they loaded the bases with nobody out. Alex Torres entered from the bullpen and retired Brian Roberts on 5-4 double play, which scored Wieters to trim Baltimore's deficit. Nate McLouth was caught looking at strike three for the inning's final out to leave the O's behind just 3-2.
The Rays broke the game open in the ninth against T.J. McFarland and Jim Johnson. Singles from Kelly Johnson and Desmond Jennings, and a one-out intentional walk to Evan Longoria loaded the bases. Joyce then doubled sharply over first base for a 5-2 game. Johnson entered from the bullpen, but Myers tacked on a broken-bat two-run single to right.
Wieters homered to left off Wesley Wright with Nick Markakis aboard in the ninth. J.J. Hardy then walked, but Fernando Rodney retired the ensuing three batters to secure his 29th save of the year.
Escobar singled in Joyce in the second when Gonzalez committed a throwing error to put the runner in scoring position.
Flaherty's single to right plated Wieters in the bottom of the second, but the Rays went ahead with two runs in the third. Zobrist doubled to right to score Jennings. Joyce's sacrifice fly to right came after Longoria singled up the middle.
The Rays go for the three-game sweep Wednesday night with Jeremy Hellickson (10-6) on the mound, while Wei-Yin Chen (6-6) pitches for the Orioles ... The Rays have won 15 of their last 19 games against AL East clubs ... Tampa Bay has won seven of the last eight meetings and leads the season series against the Orioles, 9-5.
- TAMPA BAY: 7
Aug 20 10:40 PM
- Matt Wieters two-run Home Run (19) to left scoring Nick Markakis with none out. J.J. Hardy due up.
Rays 7, Orioles 4 Bot 9, 0 OutsAug 20 10:28 PM
- Wil Myers single to right scoring Evan Longoria and Matt Joyce with one out. Runner on first and James Loney due up.
Rays 7, Orioles 2 Top 9, 1 OutAug 20 10:14 PM
- Matt Joyce double to right scoring Kelly Johnson and Desmond Jennings with one out. On the play, Evan Longoria advances to third. Runners on second and third and Wil Myers due up.
Rays 5, Orioles 2 Top 9, 1 OutAug 20 10:09 PM
- Brian Roberts grounded into a fielder's choice double play, third to second, scoring Matt Wieters with two outs. Ryan Flaherty out at second, J.J. Hardy out at third. Runner on first with two outs and Nate McLouth due up.
Rays 3, Orioles 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 20 9:44 PM
- Matt Joyce sacrifice fly to right scoring Ben Zobrist with two outs. On the play, Evan Longoria advances to second. Runner on second and Wil Myers due up.
Rays 3, Orioles 1 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 20 7:59 PM
- Ben Zobrist double to right scoring Desmond Jennings with one out. Runner on second and Evan Longoria due up.
Rays 2, Orioles 1 Top 3, 1 OutAug 20 7:56 PM
- Ryan Flaherty single to left scoring Matt Wieters with two outs. On the play, J.J. Hardy advances to third. Runners on first and third and Brian Roberts due up.
Rays 1, Orioles 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 20 7:50 PM
- Yunel Escobar single to center scoring Matt Joyce with two outs. Runner on first and Jose Molina due up.
Rays 1, Orioles 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 20 7:34 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 20 7:07 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21