Deduno helps Twins top TribeAug 24, 2013 - 4:31 AM Cleveland, OH (Sports Network) - Samuel Deduno yielded just one run in six innings and the Minnesota Twins cranked out a season-high six doubles to down the Cleveland Indians, 5-1, in the opener of a three-game set from Progressive Field.
Deduno (8-7) surrendered three hits and whiffed six before giving way to Brian Duensing, who pitched 2 2/3 scoreless innings of relief.
"His fastball was good. He says he felt good towards the end there," said Twins manager Rod Gardenhire.
Chris Herrmann doubled twice while Josh Willingham drove in a pair of runs as Minnesota won for the third time in four tries after dropping it's previous four.
Ubaldo Jimenez (9-8) fanned a season-high 10 in defeat, but was tagged for two runs on five hits. Carlos Santana had two of the Indians' six hits and drove in the Tribe's lone run.
"I thought tonight was the best stuff he's had all year," said Indians manager Terry Francona about Jimenez. "Early he didn't command real well and he didn't come in. But then he started coming in and mixing up his pitches and he was really good."
Jimenez ran into trouble in the top of the first, issuing two walks around a Herrmann double to load the bases before recording an out. However he followed by striking out the side, stranding a trio of Minnesota baserunners.
Cleveland, meanwhile, put a run across in the home half of the first when Michael Bourn scored on a Santana base hit to right. Bourn singled to lead off the frame and took second on a wild pitch earlier in Santana's at-bat.
Pedro Florimon knotted the score with an RBI-double in the top of the second and put the Twins on top later in the inning when he scored on Herrmann's second two-bagger of the night. For the second straight inning, Jimenez fanned the side.
Minnesota added a pair of insurance runs in the seventh inning. Florimon started the rally with a bunt single, followed by a Brian Dozier walk. Two relief pitchers and two outs later, Willingham delivered a two-run double over Drew Stubbs' head in right-center field.
Wilkin Ramirez grounded into a double-play with no outs in the eighth, but Trevor Plouffe scored from third, giving the Twins their final run.
"It was a good ballgame," said Gardenhire. "A nice win for us."
Asdrubal Cabrera and Yan Gomes hit back-to-back singles with two gone in the ninth, but Casey Fien forced Mike Aviles to ground out to second, ending the contest.
Minnesota went 4-for-14 with runners in scoring position ... Jimenez has now given up three or fewer runs in 15 of his last 16 starts ... Each team left seven men on base.
- MINNESOTA: 5
Aug 23 10:07 PM
- Wilkin Ramirez grounded into a double play, short to second to first scored Trevor Plouffe. On the play, Clete Thomas out at second. None on with two out and Pedro Florimon due up.
Twins 5, Indians 1 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 23 9:37 PM
- Josh Willingham triple to right scored Brian Dozier and Justin Morneau with two out. Runner on third and Ryan Doumit due up.
Twins 4, Indians 1 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 23 9:20 PM
- Chris Herrmann double to center scored Pedro Florimon with two out. Runner on second and Justin Morneau due up.
Twins 2, Indians 1 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 23 7:42 PM
- Pedro Florimon double to center scored Clete Thomas with one out. Runner on second and Brian Dozier due up.
Twins 1, Indians 1 Top 2, 1 OutAug 23 7:38 PM
- Carlos Santana single to right scored Michael Bourn with two out. Runner on first and Michael Brantley due up.
Twins 0, Indians 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 23 7:29 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 23 7:06 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21