Markakis helps O's take out A'sAug 24, 2013 - 4:55 AM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - Nick Markakis capped a three-run rally in the seventh inning with an RBI single that lifted the Baltimore Orioles to a 9-7 win over the visiting Oakland Athletics in the opener of a three-game set between playoff contenders.
Nate McLouth's leadoff walk helped set the stage for Baltimore, which closed to within two games of the A's for the second wild-card spot in the American League.
Ryan Cook (5-3) replaced Jesse Chavez following the free pass to McLouth. Chavez didn't allow a hit over 2 2/3 innings in relief of starter Dan Straily, who is winless in his last seven outings (0-5).
Manny Machado greeted Cook with a single and McLouth scored when Chris Davis hit a one-hopper off the glove of Eric Sogard. The second baseman had given Oakland a 7-6 lead with a two-run single in the fifth.
Machado went to third on the error and scored the go-ahead run on Adam Jones' dribbler down the third-base line. After Matt Wieters legged out a slow roller to third, Markakis plated Davis with a base hit to center field.
Tommy Hunter pitched around a Coco Crisp single in the top of the eighth and Jim Johnson, with the help of a stellar defensive play by Machado at third base, tossed a perfect ninth for his 40th save of the season. The Baltimore closer had blown his previous three save opportunities.
"We know what we have to do and we know what lies in front of us," Johnson said.
The O's scored in only one other inning, with Brian Roberts supplying a grand slam in a six-run fourth.
Baltimore starter Bud Norris allowed seven runs on nine hits and three walks in 4 2/3 innings, while Francisco Rodriguez (2-0) was credited with the win after retiring the A's in order in the top of the seventh.
Crisp finished with four hits for the Athletics, who have dropped three in a row to fall 3 1/2 games back of first-place Texas in the AL West.
"We put up runs like that, we usually win those games, and we just couldn't hold them down," said Oakland manager Bob Melvin.
Brandon Moss singled home Crisp with two outs in the first. Crisp and Moss both took Norris deep in the third for a 3-0 Oakland lead.
Straily held the Orioles hitless through three innings before being chased in the fourth.
Jones followed a leadoff walk by Davis with a home run to right field. Baltimore eventually loaded the bases and Roberts cleared them with a drive to right for his sixth career grand slam.
Norris, however, failed to protect his newfound lead as the A's countered with a four-spot in the fifth to move back in front.
Jed Lowrie doubled home Crisp and scored on a Josh Donaldson single. After Moss lined into a double play, Norris issued two walks around a Seth Smith single. Troy Patton inherited the bases-loaded situation and surrendered the hit by Sogard. Crisp popped out with the bags full again to end the frame.
Johnson became the first Oriole to record multiple seasons of 40-plus saves ... Moss now has 21 homers this season, matching his career high from 2012 ... The A's placed catcher Derek Norris on the 15-day disabled list with a fractured left big toe and found a replacement in a familiar face, bringing back Kurt Suzuki in a trade with Washington. Suzuki spent six seasons with Oakland before being dealt to the Nationals more than a year ago ... The Orioles outscored the A's 28-14 while taking three of four in Oakland from April 25-28 ... Norris went 0-2 with a 7.82 ERA in three starts against Oakland with the Astros this season.
- OAKLAND: 7
Aug 23 10:41 PM
- Nick Markakis singled to center scored Chris Davis. On the play, Matt Wieters advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and J.J. Hardy due up.
Athletics 7, Orioles 9 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 23 10:01 PM
- Adam Jones grounded out third to first scored Manny Machado. On the play, Chris Davis advances to second. Runner on second with one out and Matt Wieters due up.
Athletics 7, Orioles 8 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 23 9:59 PM
- Chris Davis reached first on Eric Sogard's fielding error. On the play, Sogard's error scored Nate McLouth. On the play, Manny Machado advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Adam Jones due up.
Athletics 7, Orioles 7 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 23 9:58 PM
- Eric Sogard singled to right scored Yoenis Cespedes and Seth Smith. On the play, Alberto Callaspo advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Stephen Vogt due up.
Athletics 7, Orioles 6 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 23 9:08 PM
- Josh Donaldson singled to center scored Jed Lowrie. Runner on first with none out and Brandon Moss due up.
Athletics 5, Orioles 6 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 23 8:48 PM
- Jed Lowrie doubled to left scored Coco Crisp. Runner on second with none out and Josh Donaldson due up.
Athletics 4, Orioles 6 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 23 8:45 PM
- Brian Roberts one-out, Grand Slam (3) to right scored Matt Wieters, Nick Markakis and Ryan Flaherty. Nate McLouth due up.
Athletics 3, Orioles 6 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 23 8:33 PM
- Adam Jones none-out, two-run Home Run (27) to right scored Chris Davis. Matt Wieters due up.
Athletics 3, Orioles 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 23 8:22 PM
- Brandon Moss two-out, solo Home Run (21) to right. Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Athletics 3, Orioles 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 23 7:56 PM
- Coco Crisp lead-off Home Run (12) to right. Jed Lowrie due up.
Athletics 2, Orioles 0 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 23 7:51 PM
- Brandon Moss singled to right scored Coco Crisp. Runner on first with two outs and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Athletics 1, Orioles 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 23 7:13 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 23 7:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21