Rays torch Kuroda, use longball to beat YanksAug 24, 2013 - 5:41 AM St. Petersburg, FL (Sports Network) - Jose Lobaton launched a three-run homer and finished with four RBI, and Chris Archer continued his dominance over the Yankees, helping the Tampa Bay Rays take a 7-2 victory over New York in the opener of a three-game series at Tropicana Field.
Ben Zobrist, Evan Longoria and Matt Joyce each added solo shots to provide more than enough run support for Archer (7-5), who held the Yankees to two runs on four hits and two walks over seven strong innings.
Archer has won all three of his starts against New York this season, giving up just three runs in 22 innings of work. He's the first rookie hurler to notch three wins over the Yankees in a season since Kevin Brown accomplished the feat with Texas in 1989.
"He's going to have to keep doing this and if he's going to do it for many years we have to keep him healthy," said Rays manager Joe Maddon. "But he's going to keep growing in stature."
The Rays have won seven of their last nine games to move into a tie with Boston for the top spot in the AL East as the Red Sox lost to the Dodgers on Friday.
All four of Tampa Bay's homers came against New York starter Hiroki Kuroda (11-9), who hadn't given up a longball since June 30 against Baltimore. The veteran right-hander was charged for seven runs on nine hits over six frames.
"It was really strange, he just didn't have his stuff tonight," said Yankees manager Joe Girardi.
Brett Gardner collected two of New York's five hits and scored both runs for the Yankees, who had a five-game win streak halted and fell six games back of the Rays for the top wild card spot in the AL.
The Yankees got to Archer in the first, as Gardner worked a leadoff walk and swiped second before moving to third on a fly out. After Robinson Cano fanned, Alfonso Soriano punched a single to right to plate Gardner for a 1-0 lead.
The Rays responded in the second when Matt Joyce smacked a leadoff single and Kelly Johnson followed two batters later with a base hit to center.
After newest Ray David DeJesus flied out to center for the second out, Lobaton launched Kuroda's next offering off the right-field foul pole for his sixth homer of the season and a 3-1 Tampa Bay lead.
Longoria and Joyce belted back-to-back two-out blasts in the third before Tampa Bay tacked on another run in the fourth when DeJesus scorched a double to right-center and scored on Lobaton's single to center for a 6-1 cushion.
Zobrist led off the fifth with his 10th homer of the season to push the margin to 7-1, but the Yankees got a run back in the sixth when Gardner laced a leadoff triple and scored two batters later on Cano's groundout.
New York would get no closer, however, as Archer stranded runners on first and second in the seventh before Jamey Wright and Roberto Hernandez each spun a scoreless inning to secure the victory.
New York first baseman Lyle Overbay was scratched from the original lineup with flu-like symptoms ... The Yankees are 5-15 in their last 20 games at Tropicana Field since July 21, 2011 ... Zobrist recorded his 75th consecutive game without an error, tying Aki Iwamura's club record for consecutive games without an error at second base ... Earlier on Friday, the Rays acquired DeJesus from the Washington Nationals for a player to be named later or cash considerations.
- NEW YORK: 2
TAMPA BAY: 7
Aug 23 9:54 PM
- Robinson Cano groundout to second scored Brett Gardner with two out. None on with two outs and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Yankees 2, Rays 7 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 23 9:05 PM
- Ben Zobrist lead-off Home Run (10) to right. Evan Longoria due up.
Yankees 1, Rays 7 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 23 8:53 PM
- Jose Lobaton single to center scored David DeJesus with one out. Runner on first with one out and Yunel Escobar due up.
Yankees 1, Rays 6 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 23 8:32 PM
- Matt Joyce two-out, solo Home Run (17) to right. James Loney due up.
Yankees 1, Rays 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 23 8:16 PM
- Evan Longoria two-out, solo Home Run (26) to left. Matt Joyce due up.
Yankees 1, Rays 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 23 8:13 PM
- Jose Lobaton two-out, three-run Home Run (6) to right scored Matt Joyce and Kelly Johnson. Yunel Escobar due up.
Yankees 1, Rays 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 23 7:53 PM
- Alfonso Soriano single to right scored Brett Gardner with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Alex Rodriguez due up.
Yankees 1, Rays 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 23 7:20 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 23 7:12 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21