Angels blank Mariners as Wedge returns to benchAug 24, 2013 - 7:05 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - The Los Angeles tandem of Garrett Richards and Chris Nelson spoiled Seattle manager Eric Wedge's return to the dugout following a month-long medical leave.
Richards outpitched Felix Hernandez and Nelson provided all the offense with a two-run homer in the Angels' 2-0 win at Safeco Field.
Richards (4-5) was cruising on the mound, holding the Mariners to four singles, before being struck by a Dustin Ackley comebacker with one out in the eighth. He left with a a right forearm contusion, giving way to Dane De La Rosa, who retired both batters he faced.
Ernesto Frieri pitched around a two-out base hit in the ninth to record his 27th save. The Angels snapped a four-game losing streak and had Mike Trout back in the lineup. Trout sat out the previous three games with right hamstring tightness.
Nelson's blast was one of only three hits allowed over six frames by Hernandez (12-7), who finished with 10 strikeouts.
"Felix was good, he was good today," said Wedge. "He threw a good ball game, had to work a little bit at times. He gave us every opportunity to win the ball game, we just couldn't get anything going offensively."
Wedge returned for Friday's series opener after suffering a mild stroke before the Mariners game on July 22.
The lone hiccup for Hernandez came in the second, when Nelson launched a one- out blast to left field. Josh Hamilton had led off the inning with a single, extending his road hitting streak to 10 games.
"Well it was a big hit," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia. "Felix is tough and Chris killed it to get us the two runs and it held up."
Trout finished 0-for-4, ending his streak of reaching base via a hit, walk or hit-by-pitch at 40 games ... The Angels halted a five-game skid at Seattle, a streak that matched the longest in franchise history ... The Mariners had only one at-bat with a runner in scoring position.
- LOS ANGELES: 2
Aug 24 12:56 AM
- Chris Nelson one-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Josh Hamilton. Chris Iannetta due up.
Angels 2, Mariners 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 23 10:29 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 23 10:10 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21