Phegley knocks home winning run as ChiSox down RangersAug 25, 2013 - 4:42 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Josh Phegley singled home the winning run in the bottom of the ninth inning to send the Chicago White Sox to a 3-2 victory over the Texas Rangers at U.S. Cellular Field.
Avisail Garcia extended his hitting streak to 11 games with a one-out single off Texas reliever Tanner Scheppers (5-2) and raced to third on Dayan Viciedo's two-out grounder into center field. Phegley then plated him with a liner to left.
Chicago evened this three-game set and snapped the Rangers' franchise-record- tying road winning streak at nine games. Texas had matched the single-season club mark set from July 22-Aug. 3, 1977.
"We battled and they got the big hit at the end when it counted," said Texas manager Ron Washington.
The loss, coupled with Oakland's win, trimmed the Rangers' AL West lead to 2 1/2 games over the A's.
Texas right-hander Yu Darvish and Chicago lefty Hector Santiago were engaged in a scoreless pitchers' duel until former teammate Alex Rios and Adam Dunn traded two-out, two-run homers in the sixth. It was the first home run for Rios, traded from the White Sox to the Rangers earlier this month, with his new team.
Prior to the blasts, each club had a prime scoring opportunity. The Rangers stranded the bases loaded in the second and the White Sox had a runner thrown out at the plate to end the fourth.
Darvish pitched out of a no-out, first-and-third jam in the seventh after the Rangers came up empty with men on second and third in their half of the inning.
Phegley's first career walk-off hit made a winner out of Nate Jones (4-4), who worked around the Rangers' fourth hit batsman in the top of the ninth.
"We're definitely not giving up when we're down," Santiago said.
The White Sox hosted Major League Baseball's seventh annual Civil Rights Game on Saturday night ... Darvish recorded 11 strikeouts over seven innings ... Santiago held the Rangers to five hits in 6 1/3 innings ... Chicago has won seven of its last eight games.
- TEXAS: 2
Aug 24 10:34 PM
- Josh Phegley single to left scored Avisail Garcia with two outs to end the game.
Rangers 2, White Sox 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsAug 24 10:32 PM
- Adam Dunn two-out, two-run Home Run (29) to left scored Gordon Beckham. Paul Konerko due up.
Rangers 2, White Sox 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 24 9:13 PM
- Alex Rios two-out, two-run Home Run (13) to left scored A.J. Pierzynski. Jeff Baker due up.
Rangers 2, White Sox 0 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 24 9:02 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 24 7:23 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22