Angels cruise past MarinersAug 25, 2013 - 6:59 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Mike Trout mashed a two-run homer, J.B. Shuck had three hits with a run scored and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim topped the Seattle Mariners, 5-1, at Safeco Field.
Josh Hamilton continued his hot-hitting on the road, going 2-for-5, as the Angels posted consecutive wins for the first time since Aug. 9-10. Hamilton is now riding a 12-game hitting streak away from Anaheim.
Jason Vargas (7-5) held his former team to a run and eight hits over 6 1/3 innings.
"Jason did a great job. It was great to see him get into the seventh," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia.
Vargas' current club handed Erasmo Ramirez his first loss of the season. The first-inning blast by Trout was among the seven hits given up by Ramirez (4-1), who matched Vargas with five strikeouts in 6 2/3 innings.
It remained a 2-0 game until the seventh, when right fielder Endy Chavez dropped what would have been the final out. The misplay on Trout's fly ball enabled Shuck to score.
Lucas Luetge relieved Ramirez and retired Hamilton with two men in scoring position to end the frame.
After being blanked in Friday's series opener, the Mariners were able to get on the board in the home seventh. Humberto Quintero and Dustin Ackley opened the inning with back-to-back singles, with the former scoring on a groundout by a pinch-hitting Nick Franklin.
Michael Kohn took over on the mound and fanned two around a hit batsman to shut down the Seattle threat.
"I thought we did a lot of chasing today, breaking balls out of the zone. It's not a good combination, missing fastballs and chasing breaking balls out of the zone," said Seattle manager Eric Wedge.
The Angels padded their lead in the eighth, as Kole Calhoun hit an RBI triple and scored on a Chris Nelson single.
Seattle was 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position and left nine men on base ... The Angels placed reliever Kevin Jepsen on the 15-day disabled list after he needed to undergo an emergency appendectomy Saturday. Outfielder Collin Cowgill was recalled from Triple-A Salt Lake in a corresponding move.
- LOS ANGELES: 5
Aug 25 12:28 AM
- Chris Nelson single to center scored Kole Calhoun with none out. Runner on first and Hank Conger due up.
Angels 5, Mariners 1 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 24 11:53 PM
- Kole Calhoun triple to center scored Mark Trumbo with none out. Runner on third and Chris Nelson due up.
Angels 4, Mariners 1 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 24 11:53 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Nick Franklin ground out third to first scored Humberto Quintero with one out. On the play, Dustin Ackley advanced to third. Runner on third and Brad Miller due up.
Angels 3, Mariners 1 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 24 11:35 PM
- Mike Trout reached first and advanced to second on Endy Chavez's fielding error that scored J.B. Shuck with two out. On the play, Erick Aybar advanced to third. Runners on second and third and Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 3, Mariners 0 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 24 11:22 PM
- Mike Trout one-out, two-run Home Run (22) to center scored Erick Aybar. Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 2, Mariners 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 24 9:17 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 24 9:11 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21