Tribe use late offense to take down TwinsAug 25, 2013 - 11:31 PM Cleveland, OH (Sports Network) - Drew Stubbs hit a solo homer in the eighth inning and the Cleveland Indians beat the Minnesota Twins, 3-1, in the rubber match of a three-game series.
Nick Swisher also had an RBI in the eighth for the Indians, who have won five of six. Jason Kipnis added a run-scoring single in the third.
Cleveland starter Scott Kazmir allowed one run on seven hits while striking out eight over six innings. Joe Smith (5-1) pitched a scoreless eighth to pick up the win.
"It wasn't very pretty, but it's a helluva lot better when you win then when you lose," Cleveland manager Terry Francona said about the game.
Doug Bernier knocked in the lone run for the Twins, who went 3-for-19 with runners in scoring position and stranded 13.
"A lot of strikeouts in big situations where you just need contact to get a run in and we couldn't get it done," said Minnesota manager Ron Gardenhire.
Mike Pelfrey got the start for Minnesota and gave up one run on two hits while walking six over five innings. Jared Burton (2-7) was charged with two runs on three hits in the eighth.
With the score tied at one, the Twins sent Burton to the mound in the eighth. With two outs, Stubbs smacked an 0-1 pitch over the wall in right-center field. Michael Bourn followed with a double to center and raced home on Swisher's single to right.
Chris Perez worked around a two-out walk in the ninth to record his 21st save of the season.
The Indians got on the board in the third inning. Bourn reached first on a fielder's choice and Swisher walked. Kipnis' RBI single to left-center field made it 1-0.
The Twins, who left men on second and third in the fourth, tied the game in the fifth. Clete Thomas led off with a single, moved to second on a sacrifice bunt, advanced to third on Brian Dozier's single to right-center field and raced home on Bernier's infield single. Minnesota loaded the bases later in the inning, but Trevor Plouffe lined out.
Cleveland left the bases loaded in the bottom half.
Minnesota had another chance to take the lead in the seventh. With runners on the corners and no outs, Cody Allen retired Josh Willingham, Ryan Doumit and Plouffe to keep the score tied.
Cleveland owns a 9-6 edge in the season series ... The Indians activated pitcher Josh Tomlin from the 60-day disabled list and optioned him to Triple-A Columbus ... Cleveland went 2-for-8 with runners in scoring position and left 12 runners on base while Minnesota was 3-for-19 with RISP and stranded 13 ... Stubbs walked three times.
- MINNESOTA: 1
Aug 25 4:35 PM
- Nick Swisher singled to right scoring Michael Bourn with two out. Runner on first and Jason Kipnis due up.
Twins 1, Indians 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 25 4:23 PM
- Drew Stubbs two-out, solo Home Run (9) to center. Michael Bourn due up.
Twins 1, Indians 2 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 25 4:19 PM
- Doug Bernier infield single to first scored Clete Thomas with one out. On the play, Brian Dozier advances to second. Runners on first and second with Josh Willingham due up.
Twins 1, Indians 1 Top 5, 1 OutAug 25 2:31 PM
- Jason Kipnis singled to left scoring Michael Bourn with two out. On the play, Nick Swisher advances to second. Runners on first and second with Carlos Santana due up.
Twins 0, Indians 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 25 2:00 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 25 1:06 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21