Orioles smack three HRs in rout of A'sAug 25, 2013 - 11:37 PM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - J.J. Hardy, Nick Markakis and Nate McLouth homered as the Baltimore Orioles handled the Oakland Athletics, 10-3, in the rubber match of a three-game series.
Hardy went 3-for-4 with three runs scored for the Orioles, who went 5-4 on a nine-game homestand. Manny Machado drove in two runs and scored once, while Adam Jones, Matt Wieters, Brian Roberts and Chris Davis added an RBI apiece.
"We got on a roll today offensively," McLouth said.
Baltimore starter Scott Feldman (4-3) allowed one run on three hits while striking out six over five innings.
Josh Donaldson hit a two-run homer for the Athletics, who have dropped four of five. Alberto Callaspo had an RBI.
Sonny Gray (1-2) got the start for Oakland and gave up six runs on eight hits over 3 1/3 innings.
"I felt good, my stuff has been better. I just didn't make all the pitches that I needed to. They weren't really hitting the ball that hard, but they were finding holes," Gray said.
The A's scored a run during their first at-bat. Coco Crisp walked, moved to second on a balk, advanced to third on Jed Lowrie's groundout and raced home on Callaspo's two-out single to right.
Baltimore responded with two runs in the bottom of the first. Machado, Davis and Jones hit three straight singles to plate a run. Wieters' sacrifice fly made it 2-1.
The Orioles tacked on three more runs in the second. Hardy doubled to right and Ryan Flaherty walked to get things going. Roberts followed with an RBI single to left. The runners moved up one base when McLouth flied out to center. Machado's sacrifice fly and Davis' RBI single to left made it a 5-1 contest.
Oakland loaded the bases in the third, but Seth Smith flied out.
In the fourth, Machado's sacrifice fly plated Roberts. Hardy homered two innings later to make it 7-1.
The A's got two runs back in the eighth. Lowrie singled and scored on Donaldson's homer to left.
The Orioles hit two homers of their own in the bottom half. Markakis led off with a homer to right. Hardy followed with a single and crossed the plate on McLouth's blast to right.
The Orioles went 5-2 against the Athletics this season ... Oakland had allowed fewer than 10 runs in 105 consecutive games ... A's right fielder Josh Reddick left the game with an injured right wrist.
- OAKLAND: 3
Aug 25 4:38 PM
- Nate McLouth two-out, two-run Home Run (9) to right scored J.J. Hardy. Manny Machado due up.
Athletics 3, Orioles 10 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 25 4:32 PM
- Nick Markakis lead-off Home Run (9) to right center. J.J. Hardy due up.
Athletics 3, Orioles 8 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 25 4:25 PM
- Josh Donaldson none-out, two-run Home Run (19) to left scored Jed Lowrie. Brandon Moss due up.
Athletics 3, Orioles 7 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 25 4:15 PM
- J.J. Hardy lead-off Home Run (23) to left. Ryan Flaherty due up.
Athletics 1, Orioles 7 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 25 3:45 PM
- Manny Machado sacrifice fly to left scored Brian Roberts with one out. Runner on second and Chris Davis due up.
Athletics 1, Orioles 6 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 25 3:12 PM
- Chris Davis single to left scored Brian Roberts with two out. Runner on first and Adam Jones due up.
Athletics 1, Orioles 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 25 2:27 PM
- Manny Machado sacrifice fly to center scored Ryan Flaherty with two out. On the play, Brian Roberts advances to third. Runner on third and Chris Davis due up.
Athletics 1, Orioles 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 25 2:26 PM
- Brian Roberts single to left scored J.J. Hardy with none out. On the play, Ryan Flaherty advances to second. Runners on first and second and Nate McLouth due up.
Athletics 1, Orioles 3 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 25 2:24 PM
- Matt Wieters sacrifice fly to center scored Chris Davis with two out. On the play, Adam Jones advances to second. Runner on second and Nick Markakis due up.
Athletics 1, Orioles 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 25 2:07 PM
- Adam Jones single to right scored Manny Machado with one out. On the play, Chris Davis advances to third. Runners on first and third and Matt Wieters due up.
Athletics 1, Orioles 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 25 2:04 PM
- Alberto Callaspo single to right scored Coco Crisp with two out. On the play, Josh Donaldson advances to third. Runners on first and third and Seth Smith due up.
Athletics 1, Orioles 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 25 1:54 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 25 1:39 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21