Angels sink Mariners to sweep seriesAug 26, 2013 - 3:39 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Chris Nelson drove in a pair of runs and Jered Weaver tossed eight strong innings, as Los Angeles whipped Seattle, 7-1, to sweep this three-game weekend series.
Kole Calhoun hit a two-run homer, while Mark Trumbo added two hits with an RBI for the Angels, who successfully shook off a four-game losing streak which included a sweep at the hands of Cleveland during the week.
Weaver (8-7) snapped a two-start losing skid, scattering three hits and one run with eight strikeouts.
"I've had a couple of rough ones the last couple starts and just wanted to go out there and fill up the zone and try and get some zeroes," said Weaver. "I was able to do that."
Dustin Ackley's third-inning solo blast was the limit of offense for the Mariners, who were coming off a series win against Oakland.
Aaron Harang (5-11) began the game on a strong note, but was dented for nine hits and seven runs over 5 2/3 innings, despite fanning seven and walking only two.
"Once the lineup flipped over for the second time they came out swinging early and trying to make something happen," said Harang. "Obviously, it worked."
Ackley put the Mariners on the board with a one-out solo homer in the third, and then the visitors cranked up their offense.
Seattle's starter retired 11 of the first 12 batters he faced. However, Josh Hamilton kept the LA fourth alive with a two-out double and Trumbo doubled him home, then Hank Conger was given a free pass ahead of Nelson's two-run triple and an RBI infield hit from Grant Green made it 4-1.
In the sixth, Green singled with two down and scored when Peter Bourjos tripled off the wall in left center. Calhoun then added a two-run shot for a six-run Angels advantage and Harang was finally pulled.
Three Mariners relievers combined to limit the Angels to five hits from there, but the hosts' offense remained dormant until their last chance.
Cory Rasmus made his Angels debut in the ninth. Brad Miller singled and moved up on a Kyle Seager groundout, Kendrys Morales walked and Raul Ibanez reached on an infield single. Justin Smoak could have pulled the M's closer, but fanned swinging to end the contest.
Weaver upped his career record against the Mariners to 13-8, matching his career high for wins against one team (Texas) ... Rasmus appeared in three games with the Braves, allowing six runs and eight hits over 6 2/3 innings ... Los Angeles has swept four series of at least three games on the road in 2013.
- LOS ANGELES: 7
Aug 25 7:01 PM
- Kole Calhoun two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right scored Peter Bourjos. Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 7, Mariners 1 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 25 5:38 PM
- Peter Bourjos triple to left scored Grant Green with two out. Runner on third and Kole Calhoun due up.
Angels 5, Mariners 1 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 25 5:35 PM
- Grant Green infield single to short scored Chris Nelson with two out. Runner on first and Peter Bourjos due up.
Angels 4, Mariners 1 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 25 5:02 PM
- Chris Nelson triple to right scored Mark Trumbo and Hank Conger with two out. Runner on third and Grant Green due up.
Angels 3, Mariners 1 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 25 5:00 PM
- Mark Trumbo double to right scored Josh Hamilton with two out. Runner on second and Hank Conger due up.
Angels 1, Mariners 1 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 25 4:56 PM
- Dustin Ackley one-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Henry Blanco due up.
Angels 0, Mariners 1 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 25 4:48 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 25 4:11 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21