Athletics manage to hold off Tigers in series openerAug 27, 2013 - 5:09 AM Detroit, MI (Sports Network) - Daric Barton and Coco Crisp each knocked in a pair of runs as Oakland survived with an 8-6 decision over Detroit in the opener of this four-game series.
Crisp picked up a solo homer among his three hits, while Barton contributed a pair of RBI singles for the Athletics, who also saw Jed Lowrie, Josh Donaldson, Yoenis Cespedes and Alberto Callaspo drive in a run apiece.
A.J. Griffin (11-9) pitched well enough and long enough to snag the win, allowing seven hits and four runs over five-plus innings. Grant Balfour gave up a run-scoring groundout to Matt Tuiasosopo in the ninth but recorded his 33rd save.
"It was a good battle, It felt like a playoff atmosphere almost," Griffin said.
Omar Infante and Miguel Cabrera each slugged a two-run homer, with Victor Martinez totaling four hits including a solo blast for the Tigers,
"Coco had a great game, that's kind of the way it went," Tigers outfielder Andy Dirks said. "They got a couple of big hits when they need them. A few choppers up the middle that maybe could have been double play ground balls, but when you have a night where you score eight, you usually get hits like that."
Jose Alvarez (1-4) was charged with two runs and four hits while recording just one out in the sixth for the AL Central leaders.
Lowrie doubled home Stephen Vogt in the top of the eighth and the A's were ahead 8-4, then Martinez began the home portion with a blast to left for an 8-5 game. As they did in the seventh, the hosts loaded the bases with two outs -- this time on two singles and a walk -- but Ryan Cook fanned Torii Hunter swinging to end the threat.
Balfour served up back-to-back singles to Prince Fielder and Martinez, and both advanced on a passed ball before Tuiasosopo's grounder to third brought in Fielder for a two-run margin. Martinez then went to third on a wild pitch, but Infante grounded to second to end the game.
Oakland jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first inning on a Donaldson RBI single and a Cespedes fielder's choice grounder.
Dirks singled with one down in the home second and Infante followed with a two-run shot to left center.
Crisp began the third with a shot to right for a 3-2 lead, and the A's picked up another run in the fourth after Seth Smith and Callaspo walked with one out and Barton provided a 4-2 edge on a single.
Back the Tigers came in the fifth, when Austin Jackson singled with one down and Cabrera reached the seats in right for a 4-4 deadlock.
Oakland asserted control once more in the sixth once Tigers starter Anibal Sanchez was taken out. Nate Freiman began the frame against Alvarez with a pinch-hit single, Callaspo added a base hit and Barton -- recalled from Triple-A Sacramento -- chased Freiman home with a single. Vogt grounded into a fielder's choice which left runners on the corners and Crisp brought in Callaspo with a base hit.
In the seventh, Moss worked a one-out walk, Freiman walked with two down and Callaspo's base hit made it 7-4 for the A's.
The visitors needed that cushion, as Detroit loaded the bases on a Jackson walk, single from Hunter and Cabrera intentional walk. Sean Doolittle came on for Dan Otero, and induced a long fly to deep center by Fielder for the final out.
Oakland has won four of its last seven games in Detroit ... Griffin had gone 0-2 with a 3.47 ERA in his previous four starts and picked up his first win since July 29 ... Sanchez worked just five full frames, giving up five hits and four runs with three walks and six strikeouts ... Prior to the contest, the A's placed outfielder Josh Reddick on the 15-day disabled list, designated pitcher Pat Neshek for assignment and recalled pitcher Evan Scribner from Triple-A Sacramento ... The A's hold a two-game lead on Cleveland for the final wild card spot.
- OAKLAND: 8
Aug 26 10:42 PM
- Matt Tuiasosopo grounded out third to first scored Prince Fielder. Runner on second with two outs and Omar Infante due up.
Athletics 8, Tigers 6 Bot 9, 2 OutsAug 26 10:40 PM
- Victor Martinez lead-off Home Run (11) to left. Andy Dirks due up.
Athletics 8, Tigers 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 26 10:03 PM
- Jed Lowrie double to center scored Stephen Vogt with one out. Runner on second and Josh Donaldson due up.
Athletics 8, Tigers 4 Top 8, 1 OutAug 26 9:54 PM
- Alberto Callaspo single to right scored Brandon Moss with two outs. On the play, Nate Freiman advances to third. Runners on first and third and Daric Barton due up.
Athletics 7, Tigers 4 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 26 9:27 PM
- Coco Crisp singled to left scored Alberto Callaspo. On the play, Stephen Vogt advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Jed Lowrie due up.
Athletics 6, Tigers 4 Top 6, 1 OutAug 26 9:05 PM
- Daric Barton single to center scored Nate Freiman with none out. On the play, Alberto Callaspo advances to second. Runners on first and second and Stephen Vogt due up.
Athletics 5, Tigers 4 Top 6, 0 OutsAug 26 9:01 PM
- Miguel Cabrera two-out, two-run Home Run (43) to right scored Austin Jackson. Prince Fielder due up.
Athletics 4, Tigers 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 26 8:51 PM
- Daric Barton single to left scored Seth Smith with one out. On the play, Alberto Callaspo advances to second. Runners on first and second and Stephen Vogt due up.
Athletics 4, Tigers 2 Top 4, 1 OutAug 26 8:15 PM
- Coco Crisp lead-off Home Run (14) to right. Jed Lowrie due up.
Athletics 3, Tigers 2 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 26 7:54 PM
- Omar Infante one-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left scored Andy Dirks. Brayan Pena due up.
Athletics 2, Tigers 2 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 26 7:47 PM
- Alberto Callaspo struck out looking. None on with one out and Daric Barton due up.
Athletics 2, Tigers 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 26 7:36 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes grounded into a fielder's choice, third, second to first scored Josh Donaldson with two outs. Brandon Moss out at second. Runner on first and Seth Smith due up.
Athletics 2, Tigers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 26 7:20 PM
- Josh Donaldson single to center scored Coco Crisp with one out. Runner on first and Brandon Moss due up.
Athletics 1, Tigers 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 26 7:15 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 26 7:09 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22