Victorino's breakout game fuels Red Sox rout of OriolesAug 28, 2013 - 7:23 AM Boston, MA (Sports Network) - Shane Victorino recorded his first multi-homer game in more than five years, driving in a career-best seven runs with a 3- for-3 performance, as Boston belted Baltimore, 13-2, in the opener of a three- game set.
"You can't please everybody. But if I can go out there every night, do my best, come inside, look myself in the mirror and say I gave 100 percent, that's the only person I need to answer to," said Victorino.
Dustin Pedroia contributed three hits and two RBI, while Johnny Gomes added a two-run double and Mike Napoli hit a solo shot for the Red Sox, winners of three in a row and six of the last nine.
Felix Doubront (10-6) worked 6 2/3 innings, allowing four hits and two runs, fanning seven with only one walk.
Brian Roberts and Manny Machado knocked in runs for the Orioles, who had won three of four coming in.
Wei-Yin Chen (7-7) was gone after 3 2/3 frames, charged with eight hits and as many runs.
"It seemed like every time Wei-Yin made a mistake, he paid for it," manager Buck Showalter said. "He jerked some balls across the plate and left some out over there where he usually doesn't do it."
Napoli began the bottom of the fourth by clearing the stands over the Green Monster, then the hosts expanded that advantage to 8-2 thanks to a two-run, bases-loaded ground-rule double from Pedroia and a two-run double with the sacks full from Gomes.
In the fifth, Stephen Drew walked with one out and Jacoby Ellsbury singled with two away before Victorino's second homer of the game sailed into the night for an 11-2 Boston edge.
Victorino's two-out, two-run double in the seventh pushed the BoSox lead to 11 runs and capped the scoring.
Victorino walked with one down in the first, Pedroia doubled and a David Ortiz fly to center produced Boston's first run.
Baltimore picked up two in the third on a bases-loaded walk to Roberts and a Machado sacrifice fly, but the Sox jumped back on top in the home half after Will Middlebrooks reached with a leadoff single and Victorino clubbed a one- out, two-run homer.
Victorino last went deep twice in one game on July 12, 2008, for the Phillies in a 10-4 loss against Arizona. His first homer on Tuesday was the 100th in his career ... Boston's 11-run triumph was its largest margin of victory since a 12-1 decision at San Francisco on Aug. 21 ... Prior to the contest, the O's reinstated infielder Wilson Betemit from the 60-day disabled list and optioned infielder Ryan Flaherty to Frederick of the Carolina League ... Also before the game, the Red Sox acquired outfielder Quintin Berry from the Kansas City Royals in exchange for pitcher Clayton Mortensen.
- BALTIMORE: 2
Aug 27 10:23 PM
- Shane Victorino double to right scored Will Middlebrooks and Jacoby Ellsbury. Runner on second with two outs and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Orioles 2, Red Sox 13 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 27 9:51 PM
- Shane Victorino two-out, three-run Home Run 2 (11) to left scored Stephen Drew and Jacoby Ellsbury. Dustin Pedroia due up.
Orioles 2, Red Sox 11 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 27 9:07 PM
- Jonny Gomes double to center scored Shane Victorino and Dustin Pedroia. On the play, David Ortiz advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Mike Napoli due up.
Orioles 2, Red Sox 8 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 27 8:44 PM
- Dustin Pedroia ground-rule double to right scored Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Jacoby Ellsbury. On the play, Shane Victorino advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and David Ortiz due up.
Orioles 2, Red Sox 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 27 8:39 PM
- Mike Napoli lead-off Home Run (17) to left. Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Orioles 2, Red Sox 4 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 27 8:25 PM
- Shane Victorino one-out, two-run Home Run (10) to left scored Will Middlebrooks. Dustin Pedroia due up.
Orioles 2, Red Sox 3 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 27 8:10 PM
- Manny Machado sacrifice fly to right scored Danny Valencia. On the play, Steve Pearce advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Chris Davis due up.
Orioles 2, Red Sox 1 Top 3, 1 OutAug 27 7:56 PM
- Brian Roberts walk scored J.J. Hardy. Bases loaded with none out and Manny Machado due up.
Orioles 1, Red Sox 1 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 27 7:54 PM
- David Ortiz sacrifice fly to center scored Shane Victorino. On the play, Dustin Pedroia advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Jonny Gomes due up.
Orioles 0, Red Sox 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 27 7:28 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 27 7:14 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21