Rangers beat Mariners on controversial balk callAug 28, 2013 - 6:14 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - A controversial balk call allowed Ian Kinsler to score with two outs in the top of 10th inning, giving the Texas Rangers a 4-3 win over the Seattle Mariners.
Kinsler and Adrian Beltre singled with one out. Kinsler swiped third, and it looked like Texas might come up empty after A.J. Pierzynski popped out in foul territory.
However, while Danny Farquhar (0-2) was staring down ensuing batter Alex Rios, home plate umpire CB Bucknor said the right-handed hurler flinched and called him for a balk, which allowed Kinsler to score the go-ahead run.
When the replay was shown, Farquhar didn't appear to move.
"Tough luck, but first of all we can't allow that guy to reach third base," said Mariners manager Eric Wedge. "It was a balk."
Regardless, the Rangers moved in front, and Joe Nathan was able to strand runners on first and second in the home half to notch his 38th save.
"CB saw something, he called it. He was on his game tonight," said a smiling Texas manager Ron Washington.
Tanner Scheppers (6-2) came on in the ninth with two runners aboard and no one out, but retired Humberto Quintero, pinch-hitter Nick Franklin and Brad Miller in order to send the game into the 10th.
Both starters settled in after some early scoring, with neither team producing a run between the fourth and ninth innings. Seattle's Hisashi Iwakuma and Texas' Derek Holland each allowed three runs over six innings of work.
An RBI double from Kendrys Morales and a sac fly from Justin Smoak in the home first opened a 2-0 lead for Seattle, but the Rangers scored three in the next half frame to jump ahead.
Rios reached with a one-out double, then scored on Mitch Moreland's single to left. David Murphy had an RBI single behind a walk to Jurickson Profar, who eventually came around on Elvis Andrus' two-out liner to right for a 3-2 Rangers lead.
Franklin Gutierrez evened the game with a homer to start the third.
Texas remains 2 1/2 games ahead of Oakland for first place in the AL West ... The Rangers have won 11 of their last 13 road games ... The Mariners have lost five straight at home ... Kinsler went 4-for-5 ... Seattle went 1-for-8 with runners in scoring position and left nine on base.
- TEXAS: 4
Aug 28 1:47 AM
- Ian Kinsler scores on a balk with two outs. Adrian Beltre advances to second on a balk. Runner on second and Alex Rios at the plate.
Rangers 4, Mariners 3 Top 10, 2 OutsAug 28 1:32 AM
- Franklin Gutierrez lead-off Home Run (6) to center. Kyle Seager due up.
Rangers 3, Mariners 3 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 27 11:17 PM
- Elvis Andrus singled to right scored Jurickson Profar with two outs. On the play, David Murphy advances to second. Runners on first and second and Ian Kinsler due up.
Rangers 3, Mariners 2 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 27 10:57 PM
- David Murphy singled to right scored Mitch Moreland with one out. On the play, Jurickson Profar advances to second. Runners on first and second and Leonys Martin due up.
Rangers 2, Mariners 2 Top 2, 1 OutAug 27 10:50 PM
- Mitch Moreland singled to left scored Alex Rios with one out. Runner on first and Jurickson Profar due up.
Rangers 1, Mariners 2 Top 2, 1 OutAug 27 10:45 PM
- Justin Smoak sacrifice fly out to center scored Kyle Seager with two outs. Runner on second and Michael Morse due up.
Rangers 0, Mariners 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 27 10:34 PM
- Kendrys Morales doubled to right scored Brad Miller with one out. On the play, Kyle Seager advances to third. Runners on second and third and Justin Smoak due up.
Rangers 0, Mariners 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 27 10:32 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 27 10:11 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21