Rangers dominate King Felix, MarinersAug 29, 2013 - 1:02 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Batman had the Joker. Superman had General Zod.
Felix Hernandez's nemesis this season has been the Texas Rangers.
Leonys Martin hit a homer and drove in four runs as the Rangers pounded the Seattle right-hander again and swept this three-game set at Safeco Field with Wednesday's 12-4 thrashing.
Adrian Beltre and Elvis Andrus each had three hits and two RBI for the AL West-leading Rangers, who posted their seventh win in nine games.
Martin Perez (8-3) won his career-best fifth straight start after tossing six innings. He held the Mariners without a hit through three frames and allowed just solo homers by Dustin Ackley and Kyle Seager.
"He's growing. You're watching it right in front of your eyes, and I think you just need to watch it and enjoy it," Rangers manager Ron Washington said about Perez. "He just goes out there and he does what he does and that's throw fastballs down in the zone, change speeds and use his breaking ball and move it around."
Hernandez (12-8) was far from effective in his brief outing. He was roughed up for nine runs -- eight earned -- on 11 hits in three-plus innings.
The 2010 AL Cy Young Award winner is now 0-4 with a 7.57 ERA in five meetings with Texas this year. He has also dropped three consecutive starts and four of five overall.
Ackley added an RBI double in the ninth for the Mariners, who were winless during their six-game homestand.
"I thought we showed signs of some fight and better (at-bats) and better play, but overall we're still pretty sloppy as a ball club and not executing, whether it be offensively or defensively," said Seattle manager Eric Wedge.
After stranding men on the corners in the first, the Rangers scored 10 runs over the next three innings.
Hernandez looked to escape another 1st-and-3rd jam in the second, but Martin belted a two-out, three-run homer the opposite way to left field.
The Rangers had two men on base again in the third, and Geovany Soto plated both with a two-out single.
In the fourth, Texas put up a five-spot before an out was recorded. Martin and Ian Kinsler sandwiched run-scoring singles around Andrus' RBI double before Beltre greeted Brandon Maurer by crushing the reliever's second pitch to left field for a two-run homer.
The Rangers scored two more runs off Maurer in the seventh to go up 12-2. Mitch Moreland led off with a homer to right and Andrus knocked in David Murphy with a two-out single.
Hernandez made his 266th career start, tying Randy Johnson for the second-most in Mariners history. Jamie Moyer owns the club record with 323 starts ... Hernandez's ERA climbed from 2.63 to 2.97 ... Beltre extended his hitting streak against Seattle to 13 games ... Texas tied the club mark for wins in August with 19 ... The Rangers won the season series, 12-7.
- TEXAS: 12
Aug 28 6:41 PM
- Dustin Ackley doubled to left center scoring Michael Saunders. Runner on second with none out and Henry Blanco due up.
Rangers 12, Mariners 4 Bot 9, 0 OutsAug 28 6:32 PM
- Raul Ibanez singled to left scoring Brad Miller. On the play, Brendan Ryan advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Justin Smoak due up.
Rangers 12, Mariners 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 28 6:19 PM
- Elvis Andrus singled to center scoring David Murphy. On the play, Leonys Martin advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Ian Kinsler due up.
Rangers 12, Mariners 2 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 28 5:52 PM
- Mitch Moreland lead-off Home Run (20) to right. Geovany Soto due up.
Rangers 11, Mariners 2 Top 7, 0 OutsAug 28 5:45 PM
- Kyle Seager lead-off Home Run (21) to right. Kendrys Morales due up.
Rangers 10, Mariners 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 28 5:37 PM
- Dustin Ackley one-out, solo Home Run (3) to right. Henry Blanco due up.
Rangers 10, Mariners 1 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 28 5:18 PM
- Adrian Beltre none-out, two-run Home Run (28) to left scored Ian Kinsler. Alex Rios due up.
Rangers 10, Mariners 0 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 28 4:51 PM
- Ian Kinsler singled to center scoring Elvis Andrus. Runner on first with none out and Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 8, Mariners 0 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 28 4:47 PM
- Elvis Andrus doubled to left scoring Leonys Martin. Runner on second with none out and Ian Kinsler due up.
Rangers 7, Mariners 0 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 28 4:45 PM
- Leonys Martin singled to right scoring Jurickson Profar. Runner on first with none out and Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 6, Mariners 0 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 28 4:45 PM
- Geovany Soto singled to left scoring Ian Kinsler and Alex Rios. Runner on first with two outs and David Murphy due up.
Rangers 5, Mariners 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 28 4:30 PM
- Leonys Martin two-out, three-run Home Run (7) to left center scored Mitch Moreland and David Murphy. Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 3, Mariners 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 28 4:06 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 28 3:40 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21