Moss homers twice as A's rout TigersAug 29, 2013 - 5:17 AM Detroit, MI (Sports Network) - Brandon Moss continued his power surge with a pair of homers and a career-high six RBI, and Oakland banged out a season-high 21 hits in a 14-4 thrashing of the Detroit Tigers.
Moss, who leads the A's with 24 homers this year, belted a two-run shot in the sixth inning and added a three-run blast in the eighth as part of a 4-for-5 performance. He also homered Tuesday in a 6-3 rain-shortened win for the A's.
"We did a good job of not wasting opportunities," Moss said. "We put together good at-bats. We didn't just go up there trying to do too much. Everybody stayed within themselves. That definitely builds some confidence."
Dan Straily pitched six innings of one-run ball to win for the first time in seven weeks, as the Athletics stayed within 2 1/2 games of first-place Texas in the AL West. Straily (7-7), who had been 0-5 with a 5.20 ERA in seven previous starts since he was recalled from Sacramento July 20, gave up eight hits, including a third-inning homer from Torii Hunter. Straily, who threw 103 pitches, notched his first victory since July 9 at Pittsburgh.
Josh Donaldson, Jed Lowrie, Alberto Callaspo and Kurt Suzuki each had three hits for the A's, who will go for their first four-game sweep of the Tigers since Aug. 3-6, 2001, which was also in Detroit.
It will be a tough task for the A's, who will oppose Max Scherzer (19-1). Bartolo Colon (14-5) is scheduled to be reinstated from the disabled list for Oakland.
Doug Fister (11-7) was pegged for 13 hits and seven runs over five innings for the AL Central leaders, who have given up 28 runs so far in this series.
"They were definitely putting pressure on us," Fister said.
Jose Alvarez yielded five hits and as many runs over the ensuing 2 1/3 frames.
The A's put together five consecutive singles to start the second with hits from Eric Sogard and Suzuki pushing across the first two runs. Donaldson added a sacrifice fly later in the inning.
Hunter's homer to left was one of three hits in the home third, but the A's piled on seven runs over a two-inning span, starting with the four-run fifth. Moss doubled to center off the glove of Austin Jackson to increase the margin to 4-1. Yoenis Cespedes, Callaspo and Sogard added run-scoring singles.
Lowrie's RBI-double was followed by a Moss two-run blast to right in the sixth off Alvarez for a 10-1 cushion.
Donaldson singled in a run in the eighth, and after Lowrie doubled, Moss smashed a 2-2 offering from Drew Smyly over the wall in right for a 14-1 lead. It was the sixth homer in the last nine games for Moss.
Andy Dirks singled in a run and scored on Alex Avila's two-run double in the bottom of the eighth.
The 14 runs tied a season-high for the A's ... Detroit's Miguel Cabrera has reached base safely in 31 straight games ... This is Moss' fourth-career multi-home run game ... Brett Anderson, who was activated from the 60-day disabled list Wednesday, threw the final three innings to get his first career save. Anderson, who was making only the second relief appearance of his career, hadn't pitched since April 29 due to a fractured foot. The A's opened a roster spot for Anderson by optioning pitcher Tommy Milone to Triple-A Sacramento.
- OAKLAND: 14
Aug 28 10:07 PM
- Alex Avila double to center scored Victor Martinez and Andy Dirks with two out. Runner on second and Jose Iglesias due up.
Athletics 14, Tigers 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 28 9:50 PM
- Andy Dirks single to center scored Matt Tuiasosopo with one out. On the play, Victor Martinez advances to second. Runners on first and second and Ramon Santiago due up.
Athletics 14, Tigers 2 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 28 9:47 PM
- Brandon Moss one-out, three-run Home Run 2 (24) to right scored Josh Donaldson and Jed Lowrie. Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Athletics 14, Tigers 1 Top 8, 1 OutAug 28 9:32 PM
- Josh Donaldson single to right scored Kurt Suzuki with one out. Runner on first and Jed Lowrie due up.
Athletics 11, Tigers 1 Top 8, 1 OutAug 28 9:27 PM
- Brandon Moss two-out, two-run Home Run (23) to right scored Jed Lowrie. Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Athletics 10, Tigers 1 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 28 9:00 PM
- Jed Lowrie double to right scored Kurt Suzuki with two out. Runner on second and Brandon Moss due up.
Athletics 8, Tigers 1 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 28 8:58 PM
- Eric Sogard single to center scored Yoenis Cespedes with two out. On the play, Alberto Callaspo out at third to end the inning.
Athletics 7, Tigers 1 Mid 5Aug 28 8:40 PM
- Alberto Callaspo single to right scored Brandon Moss with two out. On the play, Yoenis Cespedes advances to second. Runners on first and second and Eric Sogard due up.
Athletics 6, Tigers 1 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 28 8:39 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes single to left scored Jed Lowrie with one out. On the play, Brandon Moss advances to third. Runners on first and third and Daric Barton due up.
Athletics 5, Tigers 1 Top 5, 1 OutAug 28 8:36 PM
- Brandon Moss double to center scored Josh Donaldson with one out. On the play, Jed Lowrie advances to third. Runners on second and third and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Athletics 4, Tigers 1 Top 5, 1 OutAug 28 8:35 PM
- Torii Hunter one-out, solo Home Run (15) to left. Miguel Cabrera due up.
Athletics 3, Tigers 1 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 28 8:03 PM
- Josh Donaldson sacrifice fly to right scored Alberto Callaspo with two out. Runners on first and second and Jed Lowrie due up.
Athletics 3, Tigers 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 28 7:38 PM
- Kurt Suzuki single to center scored Daric Barton with none out. On the play, Eric Sogard advances to second and Alberto Callaspo advances to third. Bases loaded and Coco Crisp due up.
Athletics 2, Tigers 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 28 7:35 PM
- Eric Sogard single to right scored Yoenis Cespedes with none out. On the play, Alberto Callaspo advances to second and Daric Barton advances to third. Bases loaded and Kurt Suzuki due up.
Athletics 1, Tigers 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 28 7:34 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 28 7:08 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22