Blue Jays beat up on YanksAug 29, 2013 - 5:04 AM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - The Toronto Blue Jays rode an early surge to a 7-2 win over the New York Yankees in the rubber match of a three-game series at Rogers Centre.
The Blue Jays wasted little time jumping on a suddenly scuffling Hiroki Kuroda (11-10), who lasted five innings and for the second straight start allowed seven runs, five of which were earned, and nine hits.
"Two out of three from the Red Sox and two out of three from the Yankees in two home series, I think the crowd has liked that," said Toronto manager John Gibbons.
Toronto did all its damage over the first three innings, with a costly error by New York catcher Chris Stewart helping Toronto's cause.
The Yankees had a difficult time producing any offense against Blue Jays starter Todd Redmond (2-2), who pitched 5 2/3 innings. Redmond did walk four, but he held New York to three hits and two fourth-inning runs.
The loss dropped New York 5 1/2 games back in the race for the American League's second wild-card spot.
Kuroda retired two of the first three batters to begin the game, but the third out proved to be more elusive.
Brett Lawrie doubled in a pair and two more scored on Stewart's gaffe.
After Rajai Davis was hit by a pitch, J.P. Arencibia took a called third strike. However, Stewart appeared to have gotten crossed up with Kuroda on the pitch and the ball got away. Stewart then compounded the problem by making an ill-advised throw to first base that hit Arencibia.
On Tuesday, it was the Yankees who posted a four-spot in the opening frame of a 7-1 triumph.
Edwin Encarnacion crushed his 34th homer of the season in the second, a two- run shot to left field, and Jose Reyes added a sacrifice fly an inning later before the Yankees finally got to Redmond.
An opportunity for more runs, though, was spoiled by third base coach Rob Thomson's questionable decision to send Alex Rodriguez home.
The Yankees displayed a patient approach at the plate to open the fourth, with Curtis Granderson and Alfonso Soriano each drawing walks. Granderson then scored on a single by Rodriguez, who was tagged out at the plate trying to score along with Soriano on Mark Reynolds' one-out double.
"It's just a read and, unfortunately, it didn't work out, and it kind of put a halt on our inning," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said.
New York mustered only two hits off relievers Aaron Loup, Sergio Santos and Darren Oliver.
Ryan Goins went 2-for-3 with a walk and two runs scored for Toronto ... Reynolds had three hits ... Redmond struck out seven.
- NEW YORK: 2
Aug 28 9:59 PM
- Mark Reynolds double to right center scored Alfonso Soriano with one out. On the play, Alex Rodriguez thrown out at home. Runner on second with two outs and Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Yankees 2, Blue Jays 7 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 28 8:27 PM
- Alex Rodriguez single to left scored Curtis Granderson with none out. On the play, Alfonso Soriano advances to third. Runners on first and third and Lyle Overbay due up.
Yankees 1, Blue Jays 7 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 28 8:24 PM
- Jose Reyes sacrifice fly out to center scored J.P. Arencibia with two out. Runner on first and Ryan Goins due up.
Yankees 0, Blue Jays 7 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 28 8:11 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion one-out, two-run Home Run (34) to left scored Ryan Goins. Adam Lind due up.
Yankees 0, Blue Jays 6 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 28 7:48 PM
- J.P. Arencibia advances to first on a dropped 3rd strike. Brett Lawrie and Rajai Davis scored on Chris Stewart's throwing error with two out. Runner on first and Moises Sierra due up.
Yankees 0, Blue Jays 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 28 7:32 PM
- Brett Lawrie double to left center scored Ryan Goins and Adam Lind with two out. Runner on second and Rajai Davis due up.
Yankees 0, Blue Jays 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 28 7:27 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 28 7:08 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21