Jays snap skid against YanksAug 27, 2013 - 5:49 AM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Edwin Encarnacion drove in two runs and R.A. Dickey reached the double-digit win mark with a quality start as the Toronto Blue Jays ended their losing streak against the New York Yankees with a 5-2 victory in the opener of a three-game series.
Dickey (10-12) allowed two runs -- one earned -- on six hits and three walks in 6 1/3 innings of work for the Blue Jays, who have won back-to-back games and put an end to a 10-game losing streak against their AL East rival.
Kevin Pillar, Adam Lind and Moises Sierra each drove in a run as Toronto sent New York to its third loss in four games.
Phil Hughes (4-13) remained winless since July 2 after allowing five runs -- three earned -- on seven hits and three walks over 4 2/3 innings for the Yankees,
"Every time I feel like I'm making progress...it seems like I have these kind of hiccups," Hughes said.
Derek Jeter came off the disabled list Monday and went 0-for-3 with a walk in his sixth game of the year. His latest trip to the DL -- his third of the season -- started on Aug. 3 due to a calf strain and lingering soreness in his quad.
Jeter and the rest of the Yankees lineup failed to hit Dickey hard, the exception coming in the fifth when Alex Rodriguez led off with his third home run of the season, an opposite-field shot that tied the game at 2-2.
Toronto responded with three runs in the bottom half, the first coming when Encarnacion's fly ball to deep right field hit off the heel of Ichiro Suzuki's glove at the warning track. Jose Reyes scored on the error, Lind followed with an RBI double and Encarnacion raced home on Sierra's sacrifice fly.
Aaron Loup pitched 1 1/3 scoreless innings behind Dickey, Sergio Santos struck out Rodriguez to strand a runner on second in the eighth, and Casey Janssen retired the side in order in the ninth to post his 24th save.
"We want to finish the season strong," Reyes said. "Every win from now on is going to be huge."
Robinson Cano's RBI groundout in the first inning put the Yankees in front, but the Blue Jays tied it on Pillar's two-out bloop single to center field in the second inning and went ahead in the third on Encarnacion's run-scoring base hit to left.
Toronto's previous win against the Yankees came at home on Apr. 21 ... Dickey pitched into the seventh inning in all five of his August starts ... Encarnacion is three RBI shy of driving in 100-plus runs for a second consecutive season ... Yankees reliever David Huff struck out five in 3 1/3 hitless innings of relief ... Hughes is 0-6 in nine starts since his last win.
- NEW YORK: 2
Aug 26 9:43 PM
- Moises Sierra sacrifice fly to right scored Edwin Encarnacion with two outs. Runners on first and second and Josh Thole due up.
Yankees 2, Blue Jays 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 26 8:41 PM
- Adam Lind double to right scored Ryan Goins with one out. On the play, Edwin Encarnacion advances to third. Runners on second and third and Brett Lawrie due up.
Yankees 2, Blue Jays 4 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 26 8:37 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion single to right scored Jose Reyes with one out. On the play, Ryan Goins advances to third. Runners on first and third and Adam Lind due up.
Yankees 2, Blue Jays 3 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 26 8:36 PM
- Alex Rodriguez lead-off Home Run (3) to right. Lyle Overbay due up.
Yankees 2, Blue Jays 2 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 26 8:17 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion single to left scored Jose Reyes with one out. Runner on first and Adam Lind due up.
Yankees 1, Blue Jays 2 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 26 8:00 PM
- Kevin Pillar single to center scored Brett Lawrie with two outs. Runner on first and Anthony Gose due up.
Yankees 1, Blue Jays 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 26 7:45 PM
- Robinson Cano grounded out pitcher to short to first, scoring Brett Gardner with two outs. None on and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Yankees 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 26 7:16 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 26 7:09 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21