Suzuki leads Yankees past O'sAug 31, 2013 - 4:38 AM Bronx, NY (Sports Network) - Ichiro Suzuki and Alfonso Soriano each hit two- run homers to lift the New York Yankees over the Baltimore Orioles, 8-5, in the opener of a three-game series.
Robinson Cano went 2-for-3 with two RBI and a pair of runs scored for the Yankees, who started a 10-game homestand on Friday. Alex Rodriguez and Mark Reynolds added an RBI apiece.
"We got behind and were able to come back a couple times," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "We had a huge inning, some big home runs, some big base hits by some guys. It was a nice job."
New York starter CC Sabathia (12-11) allowed five runs on seven hits over 5 2/3 innings. The big left-hander improved to 18-5 lifetime against Baltimore.
The Yankees remained eight games behind Boston for first place in the AL East. The Red Sox beat the White Sox on Friday.
Danny Valencia hit a two-run homer for the Orioles, who have lost three of their last four games. Manny Machado, Chris Davis and Nick Markakis each drove in a run.
Miguel Gonzalez (8-7) got the start for Baltimore and gave up seven runs on six hits over four-plus innings.
"Sometimes the game is going to speed up on you," Gonzalez said. "I was feeling well at the beginning and then towards the end I was just leaving balls up."
The first hit of the game was recorded in the top of the fourth. Machado hit a ground-rule double down the right-field line, moved to third on a wild pitch and crossed the plate on Davis' single up the middle.
New York, however, responded with two runs in the bottom half. Cano worked a two-out walk and scored on Soriano's homer to right.
Baltimore jumped back in front with a three-run fifth. Markakis reached base on an infield single and crossed the plate on Valencia's blast over the wall in left-center field. Alexi Casilla walked, stole second, advanced to third on a sacrifice bunt and raced home on Machado's single to left.
Once again, the Yankees had an answer. The home team scored five runs in the bottom half to take a 7-4 lead. Curtis Granderson led off with a double to right and scored on Reynolds' double to left. Suzuki followed with a homer to right. Austin Romine doubled, Brett Gardner singled and Derek Jeter walked to load the bases with no outs.
T.J. McFarland came in from the bullpen and Cano greeted him with a two-run single to right. After Soriano grounded into a fielder's choice, Rodriguez grounded into a double play.
The Orioles managed to get one run back in the sixth. Adam Jones doubled to left-center field and raced home on Markakis' two-out single to right.
Rodriguez's RBI single in the seventh made it 8-5 New York.
Mariano Rivera tossed a scoreless ninth to pick up his 39th save of the season.
Despite Friday's loss, the Orioles lead the season series by a 7-6 margin ... Gonzalez fell to 2-2 lifetime against the Yankees ... New York had 13 hits, compared to nine for Baltimore ... Markakis and Reynolds each had three hits.
- BALTIMORE: 5
NEW YORK: 8
Aug 30 10:14 PM
- Alex Rodriguez singled to left scored Robinson Cano. On the play, Alfonso Soriano advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Curtis Granderson due up.
Orioles 5, Yankees 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 30 9:39 PM
- Nick Markakis singled to right scored Adam Jones. Runner on first with two outs and Danny Valencia due up.
Orioles 5, Yankees 7 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 30 8:59 PM
- Robinson Cano singled to right scored Austin Romine and Brett Gardner. On the play, Derek Jeter advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Orioles 4, Yankees 7 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 30 8:46 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki none-out, two-run Home Run (7) to right scored Mark Reynolds. Austin Romine due up.
Orioles 4, Yankees 5 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 30 8:30 PM
- Mark Reynolds doubled to left center scored Curtis Granderson. Runner on second with none out and Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Orioles 4, Yankees 3 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 30 8:29 PM
- Manny Machado singled to left scored Alexi Casilla. Runner on first with two outs and Adam Jones due up.
Orioles 4, Yankees 2 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 30 8:22 PM
- Danny Valencia none-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left center scored Nick Markakis. Alexi Casilla due up.
Orioles 3, Yankees 2 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 30 8:14 PM
- Alfonso Soriano two-out, two-run Home Run (12) to right scored Robinson Cano. Alex Rodriguez due up.
Orioles 1, Yankees 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 30 8:07 PM
- Chris Davis singled to center scored Manny Machado. Runner on first with two outs and J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 1, Yankees 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 30 7:56 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 30 7:10 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21