Presley helps Twins take series from RangersSep 2, 2013 - 4:28 AM Arlington, TX (Sports Network) - Alex Presley collected three hits, an RBI and a run scored in his Minnesota debut, during a 4-2 win over Texas in the rubber match of a three-game series.
Josmil Pinto and Doug Bernier added run-scoring doubles for the Twins, who took two of three against the AL West leaders after dropping five in a row.
"Presley was as advertised," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "He led us to a win. Same way with Pinto. He did a super job behind the plate and had a couple big hits, too."
Kevin Correia (9-10) scattered five hits and one run over seven effective innings. Glen Perkins tossed a scoreless ninth to pick up his 32nd save.
Mitch Moreland and A.J. Pierzynski homered for the Rangers, who had won three in a row coming into the set.
"We're not looking for help from anybody. We played these three games against the Minnesota Twins with the intention on winning," Rangers manager Ron Washington said.
Travis Blackley (2-2) was touched for eight hits and three runs over 4 1/3 frames.
Minnesota moved ahead to stay in the fifth. Clete Thomas reached on a fielder's choice and moved to second on Jurickson Profar's throwing error, before scoring on Pinto's double which tied the game, 1-1. Bernier followed with a ground-rule double to plate Pinto, then Presley -- acquired on Saturday from Pittsburgh for Justin Morneau -- capped the burst and chased Blackley with an RBI single for a 3-1 lead.
Presley began the eighth with a single, was sacrificed to second and came home on Josh Willingham's base hit.
Pierzynski's pinch-hit solo blast in the eighth pulled Texas within two, but Perkins slammed the door shut with a perfect ninth.
Moreland kicked off the home third by taking Correia deep to left.
The Twins failed to equalize in the fourth despite having a runner on third with one out.
Correia snapped a three-start losing skid, winning for the first time since August 11 at Chicago ... Minnesota won four of seven from Texas in the season series ... Prior to the game, the Rangers reinstated designated hitter Lance Berkman and pitcher Nick Tepesch from the 15-day disabled list, reinstated pitchers Neftali Feliz and Michael Kirkman from the 60-day disabled list, purchased the contract of utilityman Jim Adduci from Triple-A Round Rock, recalled pitcher Cory Burns and catcher Robinson Chirinos from Round Rock, released pitcher Justin Miller and designated outfielder Joe Benson for assignment.
- MINNESOTA: 4
Sep 1 6:07 PM
- Pinch-Hitter A.J. Pierzynski one-out, solo Home Run (16) to right. Leonys Martin due up.
Twins 4, Rangers 2 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 1 5:42 PM
- Josh Willingham single to second scored Alex Presley with two outs. Runner on first and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Twins 4, Rangers 1 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 1 5:37 PM
- Alex Presley single to left scored Doug Bernier with one out. Runner on first and Darin Mastroianni due up.
Twins 3, Rangers 1 Top 5, 1 OutSep 1 4:35 PM
- Doug Bernier ground-rule double to right scored Josmil Pinto with one out. Runner on second and Alex Presley due up.
Twins 2, Rangers 1 Top 5, 1 OutSep 1 4:33 PM
- Josmil Pinto double to left scored Clete Thomas with one out. Runner on second and Doug Bernier due up.
Twins 1, Rangers 1 Top 5, 1 OutSep 1 4:30 PM
- Mitch Moreland lead-off Home Run (21) to left. Geovany Soto due up.
Twins 0, Rangers 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 1 3:51 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 1 3:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22