Angels send Rays to fifth straight lossSep 3, 2013 - 6:09 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Erick Aybar smacked a two-run homer and added a two-run triple in the LA Angels of Anaheim's 11-2 rout of the Tampa Bay Rays in the opener of a four-game set.
Garrett Richards (5-6) surrendered just a run on two hits, but walked seven over five frames for the Angels, who have won five in a row and nine of their last 10 tilts.
"My control was to say the least a little off. I have to get back to pounding the zone. We got the win and that's the most important thing," Richards said.
Chris Archer (8-6) allowed five runs on nine hits and a walk over 3 2/3 innings for Tampa Bay, which dropped its fifth straight contest as is two games ahead of the Baltimore Orioles for the AL's second wild-card spot. The New York Yankees are 2 1/2 games back.
"We saw a lot of pitches from Richards, but we only had two hits. I think it's more about pressing. We need to come out and play like we did as kids," Rays manager Joe Maddon said.
Ben Zobrist cracked a solo shot and added an RBI single in defeat.
Zobrist's one-out solo shot in the first opened the scoring, but the Angels answered with a run in the home half, added another in the third and poured it on with a three-run fourth.
Josh Hamilton's RBI double in the home first tied it and Kole Calhoun's one- out single in the third put the Halos in front. A J.B. Shuck RBI groundout and Aybar's two-run blast accounted for the runs in the fourth to give the Angels a 5-1 spread.
Wil Myers struck out with the bases loaded in the fifth to keep it a 5-1 game. Zobrist's two-out RBI single in the sixth cut the spread to 5-2 before the Halos turned the game into a rout with a five-run home sixth.
Aybar had a two-run triple, Hank Conger deposited an RBI single into right field, Luis Jimenez registered a sacrifice fly and Peter Bourjos' two-out RBI single upped the Angels' advantage to 10-2.
Pinch-hitter Grant Green's first career homer, a leadoff shot into the front row of seats to right-center in the seventh, made it 11-2.
Mike Trout stole two bases, which gives him 31 on the season ... Aybar's homer was his fifth of the season ... The Angels were 8-for-17 with runners in scoring position ... Rays positional player Sam Fuld recorded the final out in the eighth. He became the third positional player to pitch for Tampa Bay in franchise history.
- TAMPA BAY: 2
LOS ANGELES: 11
Sep 3 1:07 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Grant Green lead-off Home Run (1) to right center. Mike Trout due up.
Rays 2, Angels 11 Bot 7, 0 OutsSep 3 12:32 AM
- Peter Bourjos single to left scored Kole Calhoun with two out. On the play, Andrew Romine advances to second and Hank Conger advances to third. Bases loaded with J.B. Shuck due up.
Rays 2, Angels 10 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 3 12:16 AM
- Luis Jimenez sacrifice fly to right scored Mike Trout with two out. On the play, Kole Calhoun advances to third. Runners on first and third with Andrew Romine due up.
Rays 2, Angels 9 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 3 12:12 AM
- Hank Conger single to right scored Erick Aybar with one out. On the play, Kole Calhoun advances to second and Mike Trout advances to third. Bases loaded with Luis Jimenez due up.
Rays 2, Angels 8 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 3 12:06 AM
- Erick Aybar triple to right scored Peter Bourjos and J.B. Shuck with none out. Runner on third and Mike Trout due up.
Rays 2, Angels 7 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 2 11:49 PM
- Ben Zobrist single to left scored Jose Lobaton with two out. On the play, Desmond Jennings advances to third. Runners on first and third with Evan Longoria due up.
Rays 2, Angels 5 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 2 11:38 PM
- Erick Aybar one-out, two-run Home Run (5) to right scored Peter Bourjos. Mike Trout due up.
Rays 1, Angels 5 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 2 10:46 PM
- J.B. Shuck ground out short to first scored Andrew Romine with one out. On the play, Peter Bourjos advances to third. Runner on third and Erick Aybar due up.
Rays 1, Angels 3 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 2 10:43 PM
- Kole Calhoun single to center scored J.B. Shuck with two out. On the play, Mike Trout advances to third. Runners on second and third with Hank Conger due up.
Rays 1, Angels 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 2 10:17 PM
- Josh Hamilton double to right scored Mike Trout with two out. Runner on second and Kole Calhoun due up.
Rays 1, Angels 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 2 9:28 PM
- Ben Zobrist one-out, solo Home Run (11) to right. Evan Longoria due up.
Rays 1, Angels 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 2 9:12 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 2 9:09 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22