Indians hold on, edge OriolesSep 4, 2013 - 2:32 AM Cleveland, OH (Sports Network) - Ubaldo Jimenez spun six shutout innings and Asdrubal Cabrera and Yan Gomes each knocked in two runs, as the Cleveland Indians edged the Baltimore Orioles, 4-3, Tuesday in the middle portion of a three-game set at Progressive Field.
Jimenez (10-9) scattered four hits and two walks while striking out four to snap a two-start skid.
Jason Kipnis and Michael Brantley each added a double and a run scored for the Indians, who have won two of their last three tilts on the heels of a five- game slide.
"We did a lot of good things tonight," Cleveland manager Terry Francona remarked. "We played a nice crisp game. Everyone contributed and that's the way we have to play."
Cleveland did all of its damage against Baltimore starter Chris Tillman (15-5), who gave up four runs on five hits and as many walks over 5 1/3 frames to absorb the loss.
Nate McLouth launched a three-run homer in the ninth for the Orioles, who lost for the fifth time in their last eight games.
"If he can get those off-speed pitches over for strikes early in the count, like he did tonight, he's tough," McLouth said of Jimenez. "We just couldn't get to him."
The Tribe touched Tillman for a run in the fourth, as Kipnis and Carlos Santana started the frame with back-to-back walks before both runners moved up a base on Brantley's sacrifice bunt.
Cabrera followed with a sacrifice fly to center to score Kipnis for a 1-0 lead.
After Jimenez got Michael Morse to ground out with the bases loaded to end the top of the sixth, Cleveland pushed three runs across in the home half to create some breathing room.
Santana started the inning with a walk and moved to third on Brantley's double down the left-field line before Cabrera followed with a sac fly to left, allowing Santana to score easily while Brantley advanced to third.
After an intentional walk to Jason Kubel, Gomes scorched a double off the left-field wall to bring in two more runs for a 4-0 lead.
The O's made things interesting in the ninth against Cleveland closer Chris Perez, as Nick Markakis and J.J. Hardy opened the frame with consecutive singles before McLouth ripped a 3-2 fastball into the seats in right field to bring the O's within a run.
Perez settled in from there, as he fanned Brian Roberts and Manny Machado before grounding out Chris Davis to end the contest.
Prior to the game, Cleveland recalled pitchers C.C. Lee, Vinnie Pestano, Carlos Carrasco and Josh Tomlin from Triple-A Columbus ... The Orioles recalled infielder Jonathan Schoop, outfielder Henry Urrutia and pitcher Josh Stinson from Triple-A Norfolk prior to the game ... Baltimore went 1-for-9 with runners in scoring position and left nine men on base ... Cleveland infielder Jose Ramirez came on as a pinch-hitter in the eighth and grounded out in his first career big league at-bat.
- BALTIMORE: 3
Sep 3 10:02 PM
- Nate McLouth none-out, three-run Home Run (11) to right scored Nick Markakis and J.J. Hardy. Brian Roberts due up.
Orioles 3, Indians 4 Top 9, 0 OutsSep 3 9:54 PM
- Yan Gomes doubled to left scored Michael Brantley and Matt Carson. Runner on second with one out and Lonnie Chisenhall due up.
Orioles 0, Indians 4 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 3 9:01 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera sacrifice fly out to left scored Carlos Santana. On the play, Michael Brantley advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Jason Kubel due up.
Orioles 0, Indians 2 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 3 8:57 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera sacrifice fly out to center scored Jason Kipnis. On the play, Carlos Santana advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Jason Kubel due up.
Orioles 0, Indians 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 3 8:14 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 3 7:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21