Indians top Orioles, continue battle for wild-card berthSep 5, 2013 - 5:39 AM Cleveland, OH (Sports Network) - Yan Gomes doubled in the go-ahead run in the fifth inning, and the Cleveland Indians upended the Baltimore Orioles, 6-4, in the finale of a series between playoff-hopeful clubs.
Gomes and Ryan Raburn each drove in two runs for the Indians, who moved ahead of Baltimore in the wild card standings. Cleveland remained 3 1/2 games behind Tampa Bay for the second wild card spot.
Manny Machado belted a three-run homer and Adam Jones added his 29th of the season for Baltimore, which lost for the fourth time in six contests. The Orioles are four games back of the Rays.
Zach McAllister allowed five hits and four runs over 4 2/3 innings in the start for the Indians. Bryan Shaw (3-3) threw the ensuing inning to get the win, and Chris Perez retired the side in order in the ninth for his 22nd save.
Zach Britton was touched for six hits and four runs over 2 1/3 innings. Kevin Gausman (2-4) suffered the loss for the Orioles, who dropped two of three in the series.
"It's been a tough road trip," Orioles manager Buck Showalter admitted.
The serious nature of a game between playoff contenders had a light moment prior to the first pitch.
Indians pitcher Justin Masterson carried a live chicken onto the field for pregame drills and gave it to teammate Cody Allen. The chicken stayed on the field during batting practice.
"Just so I don't get in trouble, that chicken will be returned safely," Indians manager Terry Francona said after the game. "It wasn't going to be dinner or anything."
Gomes singled in Michael Bourn after the Indians loaded the bases in the first. Raburn, who was activated from the disabled list Tuesday after sitting out with an Achilles injury, sent a two-run double to right field later in the frame.
Mike Aviles followed with a ground RBI single to left to plate Asdrubal Cabrera, but Raburn was thrown out at the plate.
Jones homered to left in the fourth, and the Orioles tied it an inning later on Machado's blast to center.
Gomes' hit to left plated Jason Kipnis in the next inning. After Cabrera was intentionally walked to fill the bases, Carlos Santana scored on a wild pitch from Gausman.
Nate McLouth's single in the sixth represented Baltimore's final base runner.
Gomes had three of Cleveland's 10 hits ... The Indians won the season series, 4-3 ... Baltimore went 1-for-8 with men in scoring position.
- BALTIMORE: 4
Sep 4 10:10 PM
- Carlos Santana scored on a wild pitch. Yan Gomes advances to third on a wild pitch. Asdrubal Cabrera advances to second on a wild pitch. Runners on second and third with one out and Ryan Raburn at the plate.
Orioles 4, Indians 6 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 4 9:07 PM
- Yan Gomes doubled to left scored Jason Kipnis. On the play, Carlos Santana advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Orioles 4, Indians 5 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 4 9:04 PM
- Manny Machado two-out, three-run Home Run (13) to center scored J.J. Hardy and Brian Roberts. Chris Davis due up.
Orioles 4, Indians 4 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 4 8:46 PM
- Adam Jones one-out, solo Home Run (29) to left. Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 1, Indians 4 Top 4, 1 OutSep 4 8:20 PM
- Mike Aviles singled to left scored Asdrubal Cabrera. On the play, Ryan Raburn tagged out at home to end the inning.
Orioles 0, Indians 4 End 1Sep 4 7:28 PM
- Ryan Raburn doubled to right scored Jason Kipnis and Yan Gomes. On the play, Asdrubal Cabrera advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Mike Aviles due up.
Orioles 0, Indians 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 4 7:26 PM
- Yan Gomes singled to right scored Michael Bourn. On the play, Jason Kipnis advances to second and Nick Swisher advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Orioles 0, Indians 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 4 7:22 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 4 7:06 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21